Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow tdc mark on pulley
strikerguy

posted on 27/7/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Crossflow tdc mark on pulley

Need some advice on this very strange issue.
(I am dutch, so there could be some translation faults in this topic :-) )

I recently bought a 1990 Sylva Striker with a Vulcan 1360 cc crossflow engine with bcf2 cam. This Sylva did not run for several years. So besides obvious issues with that, i have troubles getting the ignition sorted.

It looks like the mark on the crankshaft pulley is 45 degrees advanced with reference to the TDC mark on the block.
I am used to set the ignition by ear on idle. If i do that, then it runs ok and likes to rev. As adviced by Vulcan the best figures for this setup are 16 degrees at idle and 34 degrees at 4000 rpm.
When i use the stroboscope and the settings on the pulley and block with these figures, the results are terrible. It idles like sh... and immediately runs hot. Clear signs for a retarded ignition !

I will use some methods found on this forum to determine the real TDC, but i am still curious if you recognize this behaviour.

Regards
Dirk strikwerda
The Netherlands

theconrodkid

posted on 27/7/13 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
welkom bij het ​​gekkenhuis
best to start from the begining,remove NO 1 spark plug and find TDC with a screwdriver down the hole.
the marks on the pulleys may or may not be in the right place

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

britishtrident

posted on 27/7/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
As above is good enough for ignition timing, old time mechanics were taught to use a pencil down the plug but these days I use a plastic rod cut from a plastic coat hanger. i

At the true tdc you can rock the crank back an forth a tiny amount and piston will not move any discernible amount, in other words there is a dead zone with virtually no movement of the piston. Mark the TDC on the pulley in the middle of the dead area. Old time mechanics used to refer to describe it as TDC being on the rock of the crankshaft. You can of course by special tools quite cheaply off ebay.

*****As the engine has not been in use for some years one thing to check is the that the mechanical advance in the distributor is free and not sticking, it requires a tiny drop of oil ****

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

strikerguy

posted on 27/7/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, now it is getting weird...

I checked the TDC mark with piston 1. Spot on !!!! WTF !!!!

previously i completely replaced the ignition part of the engine with Lucas sports coil, new leads and plugs and new dizzy with Accuspark.
What is going on here ? Stroboscope down the drain... ?

Dick Axtell

posted on 27/7/13 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the spark + TDC combination? Just to verify that the distributor is in correct position. From recall, the dizzie drive has an offset key arrangement on the Xflow engine, so should not be possible to get the dreaded 180 degree out problem. Hopefully!

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

theconrodkid

posted on 27/7/13 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
dizzy drive is helical gear,you are suposed to have the rotor arm pointing to NO 1 inlet port when it,s at tdc/firing on NO 1.
has your strobe got advance on it or is it just a flashing light ?,unlikley the strobe is broken.
if nothing else works,just do it by ear

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rusty nuts

posted on 27/7/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Probably auto advance not working as it should, distributor may benefit from stripping and freeing off , make sure the cam is free to move on the distributor main shaft. Common problem especially on engines that have not been used for a long time.
strikerguy

posted on 28/7/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
Have you checked the spark + TDC combination? Just to verify that the distributor is in correct position. From recall, the dizzie drive has an offset key arrangement on the Xflow engine, so should not be possible to get the dreaded 180 degree out problem. Hopefully!

That thought crossed my mind, but then it is a non-runner i suppose ? And it runs....

strikerguy

posted on 28/7/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
dizzy drive is helical gear,you are suposed to have the rotor arm pointing to NO 1 inlet port when it,s at tdc/firing on NO 1.
has your strobe got advance on it or is it just a flashing light ?,unlikley the strobe is broken.
if nothing else works,just do it by ear

I checked if the rotor arm was pointing towards cylinder 1 on tdc. And it was....
My strobe has got an advance knob. With some racy cams it is best to set the ignition timing at high revs. Whatever it will end up at idle. So you need such a strobe because them stupid manufacturers only provided a dial from 4 - 12 degrees on the engine .....

[Edited on 28/7/13 by strikerguy]

strikerguy

posted on 28/7/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Probably auto advance not working as it should, distributor may benefit from stripping and freeing off , make sure the cam is free to move on the distributor main shaft. Common problem especially on engines that have not been used for a long time.

I completely replaced the ignition with new stuff, so i doubt that's the case....

rusty nuts

posted on 28/7/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by strikerguy
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

I completely replaced the ignition with new stuff, so i doubt that's the case....

If it runs OK at fast idle when set by ear but runs poorly at idle or runs OK at idle when set with a strobe but runs poorly at fast idle then it sounds like the advance curve on the distributor isn't what's required

strikerguy

posted on 31/8/13 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I found another post on this forum describing exactly the same problem. Unfortunately the post stopped and there is no real solution noted.
But, it is suggested that the timing of the camshaft could be an issue. If e.g. the timing chain is one tooth below or above on the camshaft sprocket, this could explain the ignition timing issue.
But if that's the case, what effect would the wrong camshaft timing have on the behaviour of the engine ? Cold start with one push on the button. Warm start needs a longer push and sometimes the engine kicks back. Idles like a bag of spanners and no of revs is very unreliable, somewhere between almost stalling and 1500 rpm. Above 2000 rpm ok, accelerates ok but at around 5000 rpm it slightly splutters and coughs. Liftoff at higher revs gives some bangs in the exhaust, but nothing like entering the soundbarriere or so.

I visually checked the valves in relation to the TDC. In the same post it was said that at TDC the valves on cylinder 4 should be rocking. And they do.
Is there another way to check without having to remove the gearbox, sump and timing cover ? The Burton catalogue also describes a method but then i need to fetch a timing disc and gauge first...

[Edited on 31/8/13 by strikerguy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.