Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I put a boat on by roof?
richard thomas

posted on 7/8/13 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Can I put a boat on by roof?

Hallo all,

Been searching the net for an answer....but as usual need to ask here for good advice.....:-)

I bought an inflatable dinghy (4 metres long, 50 Kg) today want to take it to France with my caravan and Land Rover Disco 2.

Rather than deflate it, can anyone think of a good reason why I can't simply invert it and strap it to the standard roof rails? Notwithstanding the load capacity of the standard rails, the bulk of the weight will be taken by the roof itself....the rails will just be securing the boat with ratchet straps....

It might look a bit odd, bit like a rather large canoe that is a common sight these days...

Any thoughts?

sdh2903

posted on 7/8/13 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it a few times no problem just keep the front end tied down well to stop it lifting.
stevebubs

posted on 7/8/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto - my primary concern would be the forces on the roof generated by the lift...if you keep the lift to a minimum then you're probably ok...last thing you want is a huge airbrake...

On slightly different note - would you not be worried about something puncturing it?

PSpirine

posted on 7/8/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
The best reason I can think of is that it will make your already poor MPG considerably worse.

Depending where in France you're going keeping the dinghy inflated could well cost you a few beers!

coyoteboy

posted on 7/8/13 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

On slightly different note - would you not be worried about something puncturing it?

? Like what?

We've carried inflateables (3-4m) on the roof of our boat (6m) on its trailer loads. Never deflates (but in the sun you need to be careful of over-inflation and overheat).

richard thomas

posted on 7/8/13 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all,

After my missus expressed extreme concern based on absolutely nothing substantiated, I have deflated it and crammed it in the back of the disco.....it's VERY tight in the back now, but I sit in the front so who cares lol

stevebubs

posted on 7/8/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

? Like what?

We've carried inflateables (3-4m) on the roof of our boat (6m) on its trailer loads. Never deflates (but in the sun you need to be careful of over-inflation and overheat).

The same things that fly up and crack your windscreen....I don't know how strong these inflatables are...and guess that depends on the make...

[Edited on 7/8/13 by stevebubs]

jossey

posted on 7/8/13 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
will it not fit in caravan? do you have a big back or front window etc?

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 7/8/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Other potential problem is scratching of the roof as it moves around slightly, especially if it's been on a sandy beach.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

SteveWalker

posted on 7/8/13 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
will it not fit in caravan? do you have a big back or front window etc?

That was my thought. You can get a lot in a caravan.

Many years ago my parents bought a house in France, we designed and built a new staircase which, disassembled, just fitted in a Sprite Musketeer as long as it was lifted a foot or so off the floor.

A later trip took all the old kitchen units from home over - as I was helping load, a neighbour said "everything but the kitchen sink", whereupon I reached in, lifted out the sink and said "we've got that too."

richard thomas

posted on 8/8/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I did try....I've got my 6 foot dinghy in the caravan but there is no way this one will fit in......:-)
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/8/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Laser dinghy on the roof of my 109 SII, for a few years. Getting it up there was the main problem, not easy.

The only concern was from the Norwegian police, who were (at that time at least, some years ago) concerned about high roof loads and high vehicles carrying them.

I've seen a few inflatables on the roof of many a vehicle heading up and down the A30 to Cornwall, so clearly of no concern to anybody. As for puncture, OK I'm a cynical and paranoid old fa.. and my love for this country and it's fine people is underwhelming, but my concern would be a fellow citizen puncturing it for pleasure.

mcerd1

posted on 8/8/13 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
I had a Laser dinghy on the roof of my 109 SII, for a few years. Getting it up there was the main problem, not easy

yeah, you need a couple of tall people to make that one easy...

my dad's mate sometimes has a laser, 2 kayakand 5 bikes on his 90's roof while towing either a decent size speedboat or a very large caravan (either of which is sure to be rammed full of stuff)

a prpper roof rack helps alot though...

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.