Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Static on the USB sockets is causing me grief...
David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Static on the USB sockets is causing me grief...

Recently I decided to build myself a better desktop computer to replace the decidedly cranky old Dell I used to have. I built the thing without problems, installed Linux Mint, and it's been running for a couple of months. Here's the spec:

Micro ATX Case
Corsair CXM 500W modular PSU
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
AMD FX8350 8 core processor
Corsair 8GB 1600MHz memory modules (pair)
60GB SATA SSD (Kingston) - primary drive
1TB SATA hard drive (Western Digital) - home area/data storage

This runs really quickly, all temperatures are good and if I don't touch it it's really reliable. Unfortunately, if I walk up and plug something into a USB socket it goes haywire - if I plug into the sockets on the front panel the computer shuts down. If I plug something into the back (e.g. I have my smartphone dock permanently plugged into the back, and park my phone when I sit at the desk) the video goes haywire and the only way out is to reboot the machine.

My guess is that this is due to a static discharge resulting from me walking over the carpet. I haven't heard or felt any discharges, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't one!
I've checked that everything is OK - plugs, connectors, etc. - and I can't see anything wrong. None of my other kit in the same location is bothered when I plug into their USB ports (laptop, tablet, and so on).

I don't get a problem if I touch the case before I do anything - but I can't always remember to do that!

Can anyone suggest further tests that might help me to localise this problem?

[Edited on 13/8/13 by David Jenkins]

mookaloid

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like the PSU is marginal and when you take more power out via USB it falls over?

try a different PSU first?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm only talking about plugging in a memory stick - hardly power-draining! Anyway, the PSU is 500W and the min recommended is 300W, so I'm nowhere near capacity. I'm also using the motherboard's on-board video, so no power-hungry graphics board.

Ajohnston_10

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I would be suprised if it was static discharge that was the cause.

I would have thought the problem lies with the connection between the usb port and the motherboard. Have you checked all the usb ports are in the correct connections on the motherboard?

Also have you installed the usb drivers fom the installation disk supplied with the motherboard?

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ajohnston_10
I would be suprised if it was static discharge that was the cause.

I would have thought the problem lies with the connection between the usb port and the motherboard. Have you checked all the usb ports are in the correct connections on the motherboard?

I believe so - but I'll recheck

Also have you installed the usb drivers fom the installation disk supplied with the motherboard?

Tricky - I'm running Linux and the disk is Windows-based! The ports do work in all respects (USB2 and USB3) apart from when I walk up and plug something in - hence my thinking that it was static from the carpet causing the problem. If I've been sitting next to the computer for a while, probably touching it occasionally, then everything works as it should.

iank

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Anything left in the logs? (i.e. dmesg)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Is the case properly earthed?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ajohnston_10

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Try earthing the case properly? Does it sit on a desk?

I've never heard of this hapopening before.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
You'll have to remind me where the logs are...

(but I suspect that there won't be any - shut-down is near-enough instant.)

I had considered the earthing - so far I've checked the socket and mains lead, and all systems are go there. I'll check that there's a connection between the mains earth and the case shortly (with the power off, of course! ).

MikeRJ

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely check the case is properly grounded, use a multimeter to check for continuity between the chassis and the ground pin on the 13 Amp plug.
David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
The earth is good from the 13A plug to the case... just checked with my multimeter. I thought it would be, but it does no harm to re-check...

Slimy38

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Not just the case though, check the motherboard itself is happy. My last motherboard came with plastic standoffs, I replaced them with older metal fixings.

Does it change if you have the PC plugged in somewhere else? Could it actually be the power socket earth that's at fault?

Ajohnston_10

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have just asked a mate who is sh*t hot with computers and he said it could be something within the registy that is wrong. He said best to wipe the OS and re-install.
David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Not just the case though, check the motherboard itself is happy. My last motherboard came with plastic standoffs, I replaced them with older metal fixings.

Does it change if you have the PC plugged in somewhere else? Could it actually be the power socket earth that's at fault?

As I said above - I've checked the socket itself - no problem (I have a proper socket tester to check for bad earth, swapped connections, etc.)

I've not tried it through to the motherboard - I'm a bit wary of poking my multimeter where it may not belong! It does have brass stand-offs though, so that aspect should be fine.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ajohnston_10
I have just asked a mate who is sh*t hot with computers and he said it could be something within the registy that is wrong. He said best to wipe the OS and re-install.

Registry? On Linux? No such animal! (thankfully)

Ajohnston_10

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm out of ideas then ha.

Don't have a clue what the problem is.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
That makes 2 of us!

(Thanks for taking the time though...)

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

I just went and checked this anyway! The inside of the computer's case is painted, and I was wondering if that might have caused a problem. As suspected, the connection is good between the board and the case, and therefore good back to the mains earth (from previous tests).

mookaloid

posted on 13/8/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I take your point about the capacity of the PSU but if it is a bit flaky then it might still be a problem.

From your posts it is clear that you know what you are doing so a test swap with another PSU will rule it in or out in a few minutes.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

jossey

posted on 13/8/13 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
get a psu tester and test the psu.

DJ

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 13/8/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
You'll have to remind me where the logs are...

(but I suspect that there won't be any - shut-down is near-enough instant.)

I had considered the earthing - so far I've checked the socket and mains lead, and all systems are go there. I'll check that there's a connection between the mains earth and the case shortly (with the power off, of course! ).

just type dmesg you might get lucky

--
Anonymous

James

posted on 13/8/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just in case it's a drivers/software issue you could load Ubuntu or something on a memory stick/CD and run it from there.

See if same thing happens then.

If it still happens then, you know it's h/w related.

Good luck,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

just type dmesg you might get lucky

Thanks,

I got a load of info from that - nothing to do with the shutdown, but it's saying that a couple of things aren't enabled in the bios, so I'll play with those once I've nailed this issue.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Just in case it's a drivers/software issue you could load Ubuntu or something on a memory stick/CD and run it from there.

See if same thing happens then.

If it still happens then, you know it's h/w related.

Good luck,
James

That's a thought - although Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so I might try a completely different distro just to see if I can isolate the problem.

I've also upgraded the BIOS - the latest version is supposed to 'improve reliability', which can cover a host of issues!

deezee

posted on 13/8/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd quickly chime in and mention that your case, nor the components require grounding! Hence the reason cases are painted and components come with plastic feet. This isn't a car and no power or signal goes via a ground. Its all done on the cables. Your PSU has its earth and thats it. Please don't try to ground your components.

I'd estimate you have a faulty mobo, or faulty drivers. Do you have another distro you can try or even windows?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.