Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension Bracket Install
Padstar

posted on 15/8/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension Bracket Install

Hi,

Have not been on for a while as i have been busy witha few other bits but i hope to install by suspension brackets this weekend which will (if it all goes to plan) allow me to paint the chassis.

I have the jigs fabricated as per the book and the wishbones have been made for me and are sat in my garage.

Is there any advise people can give me before i start. I see this as being a major part of the construction that i want as perfect as possible.

What are the spacers shown in the book - just to hold it off the frame?

ste

posted on 15/8/13 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming you are building a Haynes Roadster, the spacers are exactly that, they hold the jig off the chassis. It's probably one of the most challenging parts of the fabrication.

My advice, is tack, then measure and measure again. Even try your wishbones in there before fully welding.

It helps to have a few lengths of M12 threaded rod (B&Q - £2.50ish) and nuts

The longer they are, assuming they are straight! the more accurate you can make it as the length will mutiply any errors.

Hope this helps
ste

Talon Motorsport

posted on 17/8/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
A spare length of box section held against the jigs about 2mtr long also helps tell you what direction the brackets are pointing in.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b14wrc

posted on 20/8/13 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Bolt your arms to the brackets before tacking them in - eventually this is the way i did mine, this way they should be pointing along the same axis and you can make sure the arm is in the plane, i spent a lot of time trying to make my chassis perfect and after tacking in my rear brackets found that one side is out by about 5mm - so to compensate, the brackets have been welded in where they need to be in order to make the arm sit and move the correct way - both sides the same although the pick up points are not exactly the same.

Initially i was a bit stressed by this, but at the end of the day considering the tools and my skill level i think its acceptable. The suspension will be fully adjustable and i doubt the slight difference will be noticed on the road.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

Padstar

posted on 24/8/13 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I now have everything set up ready to tac into place. I wish i had read the last post first and attached the bones at the same time but i think i am still good to go.

I too have been frustrated by the fact that my chassis seems to be out - by 2-3mm from what i can see. I am going to assume that this is an acceptable tollerence and have also set the suspension brackets up "To Suit".

Before i tac - attache bones and fully weld is there anything (other than the mess of a garage) that looks incorrect in the photos of the brackets in the jig below?

I had to bring the centres of the brackets in on each side by 2mm to suit the dimensions of the wishbones i have had fabricated. They should now fit perfectly central in the brackets.

I have read a lot about the direction the brackets are facing. Should they not be paralel with each other?

Front Sus Jig
Front Sus Jig

Jig Front View

Front Lower Sus Jig Rear View
Front Lower Sus Jig Rear View

Jig Rear View (and upside down)

Front Lower Sus Brackets
Front Lower Sus Brackets

Bracket Set Up Passenger Side

Front Lower Sus Bracket 1
Front Lower Sus Bracket 1

Bracket Set Up Drivers Side

Front Lower Sus with Bones
Front Lower Sus with Bones

Lower Bones Drivers

Front Lower Sus with Bones 1
Front Lower Sus with Bones 1

Lower Bones Passenger

b14wrc

posted on 21/9/13 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Padstar

Took advantage of your method yesterday on the front end, seems to have worked a treat. Reckon I'm within 1.0mm on the tolerances.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.