Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: more top results from bailey performance
ryanill

posted on 19/8/13 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
more top results from bailey performance

hi all

with reference to my older post
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=183209&page=0&contribmessage=none

once i got home with considerably more power but very poor mixture. i set about making the carbs ( keihin CVK 38 ) adjustable, this was done by milling material out of the inside of the sliders where the head of the main jet needle sits, then replacing with removable shim stacks.

once this was done a phone call to dale was made and he managed to fit the car in that saturday for a fuel set up and a power test.

the day came and first job was the fuel setup. the main needles were dropped to get it leaner at the bottom and the jets opened to get it richer at the top. dale then started to do some power runs and managed to get a few more BHP more than the previous set up but mainly a smoother torque curve was achieved.

since the set up i hadnt had much chance to drive the car untill this weekend. now i have i can see the full effects of the fuel set up.
the engine is far more driveable the popping has stopped on shut off, and you can really feel the change in the engine as it comes onto the power band of the cam. but the main improvment of the car is that we got a few more BHP AND added a whole 7 miles onto my average MPG

once again top job dale
would definitely recommend him to any one

Dale bladen

dale.bladen@orange.net

dave_424

posted on 19/8/13 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Great results, I too recently went to dale for him to set up my Megasquirt turbo ZX9 autograss buggy, due to a few problems the day had to be cut short, mainly due to me needing a larger radiator and blowing out an exhaust manifold gasket on a full throttle run. But all in all it was a great day, the engine was making good power, it was holding boost and nothing blew up.

Dale was very accommodating with me trying to fix a burst radiator hose and only charged me for the time that we used.

Definitely recommend him to anyone.

Paul Turner

posted on 19/8/13 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Having had kit cars on the road now for almost 25 years (next March is the anniversary) I have met and heard about plenty of Rolling Road "Experts" who are great at giving you all the top end power that the engine/carbs/ignition can supply but finding one with the knowledge and patience to actually spend time sorting the lower and mid range has been virtually impossible. What they do not consider is the average bloke on average roads spends fek all time at full throttle at max revs. But the average bloke is only interested in going to the pub and saying that his car now has another 5 bhp after a Rolling Road set up.

Simple fact is 5 bhp at 3000 rpm is way more important than 5 bhp at 7000 rpm. And with todays fuel prices every few extra mpg really count.

All this nonsense about having a track day set up or a road set is another hate of mine. If the car is set up correctly it will produce maximum power on the track and excellent drivabilty/economy on the road. Its simply RR operators not being able to deliver the goods.

The bloke sound like he is worth a visit.

dave_424

posted on 19/8/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with everything you said, I do wish that dynos would give a number for the area under the torque curve which is the most important thing really.

For me I am not so worried about lower end power because I don't think my clutch could take it. But Dale was way more worried about sorting out a flat spot on my engine between 5 and 6k than doing full power runs and talking about horsepower figures.

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.