Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Second road tax
Davegtst

posted on 26/8/13 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Second road tax

I got my reminder saying my road tax is up for its first renewal. It was first registered by me on the 19th of September last year on a Q plate and has date of first registration as the same date on the v5. I tried to tax it online and it tells me I need an mot. As it's under 3 years old does it really need one? If not how do I go about getting a disc without taking it for an mot?
loggyboy

posted on 26/8/13 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
try a post office.
out of interest what dates are shown on your v5c?

Mistral Motorsport

snapper

posted on 27/8/13 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
When you first registered the car DVLA local office should have informed you of time to first mot, usualy 3 years but local office has discretion, as you have Q plate this may make a difference
If indeed you need tax and DVLA say mot then you need an mot

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

clairetoo

posted on 27/8/13 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
When you first registered the car DVLA local office should have informed you of time to first mot, usualy 3 years but local office has discretion, as you have Q plate this may make a difference
If indeed you need tax and DVLA say mot then you need an mot

Wrong , wrong , wrong
MOT is required three years from date of registration - so no , you dont need an MOT - you need to tax it at the post office , there is a standard form for it .

This comes up nearly every week

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

mcerd1

posted on 27/8/13 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
but local office has discretion

I assume you got that from someone at the DVLA.....

in my personal experience that answer form the DVLA translates as: "I don't know, some instead of admitting it I'll just tell you its up to the local office instead so you go and ask them instead"

[Edited on 27/8/2013 by mcerd1]

-

loggyboy

posted on 27/8/13 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
To quote myself from a similar post a week or 2 ago.

quote:
Is it an age related plate? as this is where it is a grey area, you technically should have 3 years as the rules state (Road traffic act).

....the motor vehicles to which this section applies at any time are—
a)those first registered under the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 or any corresponding earlier legislation not less than three years before that time, and .
(b)those which, having a date of manufacture not less than three years before that time, have been used on roads (whether in Great Britain or elsewhere) before being so registered,

The issue is that after registration with a age ralate or Q plate, the V5c often contains 2 dates - Date of first registration, and date of first registration in the UK.
Its common for the donors cars registration date to be retained in the fist box, and the kit cars registration date in the first registered in the UK date, meaning, the 2nd paragraph of the above law takes presidence, and the apply the date of 1st registration.
Older V5s had it in the notes, that stated
'registered and/or used, delcared manufactured in 19**'
Then the 'first registered date' was the date of the kits registration.

[Edited on 27-8-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Davegtst

posted on 27/8/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
It has on the v5

Date of first registration 13.09.12
Date of first registration in the UK 13.09.12

that is all the dates it has on it.

loggyboy

posted on 27/8/13 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
It has on the v5

Date of first registration 13.09.12
Date of first registration in the UK 13.09.12

that is all the dates it has on it.

Its just down to a glitch on the online system, take the v5 and insurance to the Post office, they will take one look at the date and see its less than 3 years and issue it.

Mistral Motorsport

Davegtst

posted on 27/8/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
If only it was that easy. Just been to the post office and they won't issue a tax disc without an mot. The post office guy phoned his helpline and they told him he couldn't issue one and I had to ring the dvla. Looking at my v11 tax reminder it does have on it this vehicle needs an appropriate mot certificate. Has something changed?
loggyboy

posted on 27/8/13 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Nope, road traffic act is still current.
Try ringing the DVLA main office?

Mistral Motorsport

PeteS2k

posted on 27/8/13 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
My car's on a Q plate. For my first tax renewal, I managed to tax on-line, no MOT required. Second renewal, it popped up requiring an MOT. At the time, I filled in a form V112 declaring exemption from MOT on the basis it was less than 3 years from first reg. Worked fine at the local Post Office, along with the V5 for evidence.

Unfortunately, I notice that the V112 form https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploa ds/attachment_data/file/222585/dg_065277.pdf

has been updated, and now doesn't allow provision for declaring 'less than 3 yrs old'.

So I guess it's down to the Post Office in person, or local DVLA if there's any left, with the V5 and trying to blag it face to face. Keep trying till you find one that'll do it. Or bite the bullet and get an MOT a year early...

Over 3 years old now, so formally on the MOT system - which was relatively painless through the local test station thankfully.

Davegtst

posted on 27/8/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think I may just go and mot it. I really can't be bothered dealing with all the red tape and no one knowing what to do. It was a nightmare trying to register it last year and £25 is a bargain compared to dealing with the computer says no brigade again.
loggyboy

posted on 27/8/13 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try this form at another PO, its the old V112
http://www.nippi-owners.co.uk/downloads/dg_065277.pdf

Mistral Motorsport

mookaloid

posted on 27/8/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Worth getting an MOT just so that someone else can give it a once over for peace of mind IMHO.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mcerd1

posted on 27/8/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
thats a pain about the new V112

but the .gov site does clearly say no MOT for vehicle under 3 years old
maybe you'll have to phone them kick up a fuss... always the last resort with that lot, they are a nightmare on the phone

mind you with a Q plate at least you've only got a visual smoke test for the emissions at the MOT

[Edited on 27/8/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Jimfin

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
when you tried to tax it online - did you answer yes or no when it asked if you had an MOT? If you ticked NO - it explains your problem. Although you do not have an MOT, the note to the question does add "if applicable" so - an MOT is not applicable to your vehicle, you can check the YES box and hopefully it might resolve your problem.
Davegtst

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Tried that and it makes no difference.
Jimfin

posted on 28/8/13 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
DAMN - looks like DVLA have set it up wrong on the system then - try a complaint to be compensated for the cost of the next 2 MOT's

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.