Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Post Office more than twice the cost of courier
bowood14

posted on 28/8/13 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Post Office more than twice the cost of courier

I sold a couple of road springs, went to post office 2.5 kgs the cheapest they could do was £12.50 far to expensive, so went on line 'parcels to go' £5.39 collected from my home, can't believe the post office was that much more!!
designer

posted on 28/8/13 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
The Post Office has got to keep paying the large 'guaranteed for life' pensions, they can't cut costs.

And when it does go under the tax payer will still be paying them!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ickle

posted on 28/8/13 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ye there parcel prices have went through the roof
I am sure there making the company look profitable ready for selling

I use p4d so easy and alot cheaper for bulky items.

bowood14

posted on 28/8/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
It was only small 20cmx10cmx8cm and 2.5kgs!
eddie99

posted on 28/8/13 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
The thing with the Post office is it completely varies where you go, some post offices will send things for a 1/3 of what another local post office want.

However generally throughout the board, PO put their prices up hugely around Easter and makes couriers seem much more sensible.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
steve m

posted on 28/8/13 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ive been "had" by the PO before when we used to sell stuff on ebay, but now I will only use couriers, and they collect from my house
and deliver the next day

We use Parcel2go and have never had a problem

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

r1_pete

posted on 28/8/13 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
The Post Office has got to keep paying the large 'guaranteed for life' pensions, they can't cut costs.

Long may it continue, I've 25 years final salary nicely index linked with Royal Mail since our outsource in 2003...

Still use Parcel2Go though, apart from anything I can get sent as a large letter, however, Parcelforce are often coming up competative on the collect and drop services.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Scuzzle

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
The Post Office parcels are pricing themselves out of the game, I also personally believe they are artificially making the parcel division look like it's profitable for when it comes to selling it off but I think it's the doubling of the price of stamps iw what has really put them in the black.
Customers are leaving Royal Mail in their droves and switching to MyHermes or Collect+ so I can't see how they can be making the profits they are claiming.

They are still the cheapest for posting abroad or to the Highlands and Islands but it's going to take a real strategic rethink to claw back all the business they have lost.

I have also noticed a real increase in lost or damaged parcels from Royal Mail, probably due to disgruntled RM workers unsure about where the company is headed. If you are that unhappy with your lot though you just hang around long enough to get your share deal then look for another job.

James

posted on 28/8/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't this all Gordon Brown's fault for changing the rules so that RM couldn't make any profit on sales etc?
It *all* had to go back to the Revenue.

Consequently they don't make any money to cover the pension cost which has got bigger and bigger.

Breaking it all up will be a disaster in my opinion.

James

[Edited on 28/8/13 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Dick Axtell

posted on 28/8/13 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You are behind the times! Our beloved Govt has already said that it will "guarantee" existing Post Office pednsions, in the event Royal Mail is eventually privatised.

This means that the taxpayer, i.e. You - Me - Them, will be footing the bill. As ever.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Myke 2463

posted on 28/8/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Parcel 2 go £5.10 inc vat 2 day service

Be Lucky Mike.

JoelP

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
quote:

You are behind the times! Our beloved Govt has already said that it will "guarantee" existing Post Office pednsions, in the event Royal Mail is eventually privatised.

This means that the taxpayer, i.e. You - Me - Them, will be footing the bill. As ever.

Err, that's what he said?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 29/8/13 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I recently bought a new spraygun from ebay and it was delivered by myhermes. A bloke in a Daewoo Matiz turned up with it one evening and handed it over in a big plastic bag and went on his way. When I opened it the gun was not in it's box or bubble wrap, all loose in the bag and it looked like it had been run over with a truck, the cup was split and other damage. I contacted the seller and he sent me another by PO parcels next day delivery.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Benzine

posted on 29/8/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'm breaking a car at the moment, and sold the tailgate struts. 1.05kg, 2nd class = £8! I used to pretty much post everything with the P off, very convenient as it's just round the corner in the village. I'll just use them for small items now

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.