Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK R1 2006- Oil temp
Coopz

posted on 30/8/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
MK R1 2006- Oil temp

So I had my first track day at Brands Hatch yesterday and absolutely loved it, the car felt great! It's nice to finally see what she can actually do and makes road driving seem pretty tame and boring in comparison.

As expected I had a few issues firstly my Oil temp:

I'm using the R1s oil cooler and a polo rad, the oil is Maxima Extra4 synthetic 15w50. Unfortunately I could only be out for 5-10 hot laps before returning to the pits as the oil temp was rising to around 115-120'c, the cooling stayed between 95-100'c. Are these normal running temps, is there anyway of reducing oil temp without adding an oil cooler?

Secondly, on the straight I was generally in 6th at around 110-120mph on average, when approaching paddock hill bend and slowing down I noticed a few times when down shifting from 6th to 5th or 4th I could hear a clunking noise and it struggling to select gear, I didn't have a problem anywhere else on track or on the drive home, any ideas?

Overall a brilliant day, but I would like to sort out these niggly issues before booking another.

I think I may have got the bug

Cheers Coopz

MK9R

posted on 30/8/13 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Those oil temps are fine. Water temp looks to be getting a rad high, was it a warm day?? I'd suggest fitting a 19row oil cooler and some ducting to get the air directly through to the rads with no where to escape. I stuggled to keep my temperatures sensible until I went with an ally rad, but that was racomg so couldn't afford to back off for a lap or come in after 10mins.

So add the oil cooler and ducting and see where you end up

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coopz

posted on 30/8/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Austen, it was around 23-24 so hot but not blistering. Interesting, what do you reckon would be a high/maximum oil temp? I have looked into oil cooler setups and a new fan today, the fan I've got Is a unipoint fan, I'm sure a better fan would help to reduce temps quicker, maybe a revotec?

Do you reckon an ally radiator would considerably drop both temps, I know your car is built specifically for racing and every lap is a hot lap, but if it would potentially lower both temps it may be a good option, depending on how much we're talking obviously.

Cheers Coopz

MK9R

posted on 30/8/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ally rad will knock 10degs of water straight away as long as oil is under control and ducting is right. Like I say duct it and then if that doesnt work go from their. Ally rads are expensive (£225 I think), so only do that as a last resort. Oil coolers of eBay are about £55 but you will also need a sandwich plate and hoses so bumps it up to about £200

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 30/8/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and oil is fine up to 130, but I like to see it at 125 max

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Coopz

posted on 30/8/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheer for the info mate, I will have a look. Any idea on the clunking on the downshift from 6th and just out of interest I remember watching you in RGB at brands with the 5VY R1 what gear did you enter paddock hill bend in?
Davey D

posted on 30/8/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an oil cooler fitted to my 06 R1 engine. If you remove the standard water to oil cooler, and fit the external cooller in its place you also help to keep the water temps down too as the water system isn't having to work as hard. I can give my car a solid 20 mins of thrashing on track and my oil temps never rise above 105. I was only coming in to give myself a quick breather and let a different passenger jump in with me
MK9R

posted on 30/8/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coopz
Cheer for the info mate, I will have a look. Any idea on the clunking on the downshift from 6th and just out of interest I remember watching you in RGB at brands with the 5VY R1 what gear did you enter paddock hill bend in?

If you dont heal and toe and match the revs you will get clunking especially if you let the revs drop right down. Youll also destroy the gearbox if you dont

I do paddock in 4th. One thing i have purposely changed in my driving is to try and slow my entry speeds down so to allow me to get on the power earlier and get better drive out the corner, this has also took a lot of car set up changes, but its improved my laptimes and more importantly consistent quick lap times. Now now the aim is to speed up entry speeds but keeping the car in the same control and still get on the power as early

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

adithorp

posted on 30/8/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
What have you used as a take off in place of the original oil-water cooler?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bigfoot4616

posted on 30/8/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coopz

Do you reckon an ally radiator would considerably drop both temps, I know your car is built specifically for racing and every lap is a hot lap, but if it would potentially lower both temps it may be a good option, depending on how much we're talking obviously.

Cheers Coopz

on mine last year after 10 minutes on track my oil was at 120+ and rising, that's with a 19 row cooler and ducted polo rad. last winter i fitted an alloy rad and it made a big difference, i've done some very hot days and the highest i've seen is 105, usually sitting steady at 100 even after 25 minutes on track.
i did have higher water temps than you though with the old rad, got to 110+.

didn't even bother to modify my ducting to fit the new rad as it isn't needed.
only downside is on a cold day it over cools it. earlier this year at anglesey i had to blank of the oil cooler and part of the rad to get the temps up but that was a very wet and windy cool day.

wouldn't bother changing the fan, at track speeds a fan isn't going to make any difference at all.

[Edited on 30/8/13 by bigfoot4616]

Coopz

posted on 31/8/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm tempted to go for the alloy radiator route as at the moment I can only do the oil cooler or the rad.

I would be looking at £260.00 but should drop my water temp and hopefully in turn reduce my oil temp, especially considering the standard oil cooler on the bike is cooled by the water. I would also like to move the fan to the back of the radiator rather than push from the front and use some water wetter?

What do you guys reckon, the car is predominately road use with looking at doing 3-4 track days per year, obviously I should see a good reduction in the water temp, but do you reckon I will drop the oil temp enough or is it really a case of an oil cooler is needed?

MK9R

posted on 31/8/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Your oil temp is fine as it is, just try some ducting first, that's almost free. If not go for the ally rad and that will defo sort it out. My car was still running water in low 90's last weekend when it was 25degs so defo worth doing all you can

[Edited on 31/8/13 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.