Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 2/9/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
OT : Recommend me a Turbo Trainer

Just thinking about riding my bike doesnt seem to be having any effect on my fitness so I think it's about time I actually do some exercise. i dont really have much will power so the easier it is for me to exercise the better. we've got a treadmill but I can't stand it!! I just like the bike. Already had an exercise bike and that was uncomfortable. So turbo trainer i think is this weeks way to go.

I've just had a look on the Bay and there's loads to choose from - so which one do I look out for?

I want something which is quiet because I want to watch TV at the same time, and because this is going to be another 5 minute wonder I only want to spend about £100.

They appear to 2 types - magnetic and air?? I'm guessing the magnetic one will be quieter?

My bike is a claud butler levante I think it's a 26" wheel but could be completely wrong. I've got clip in shoes too - so clearly I'm a serious athlete.

Recommendations much appreciated.

coyoteboy

posted on 2/9/13 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Quieter. Yes. but not quiet - I couldn't use mine in the house as the tyre noise travels.

But if you can't be arsed using a bike outside don't expect to be bothered to use the TT - it's soul destroyingly dull, even if it is useful.

Wheels244

posted on 2/9/13 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Tacx Flow - but don't think you'll get one for £100 unless you're very lucky on eBay.
steve m

posted on 2/9/13 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
"But if you can't be arsed using a bike outside don't expect to be bothered to use the TT - it's soul destroyingly dull, even if it is useful. "

and upstairs. mine sounds like a hammer drill, so I don't use it, and its not allowed downstairs as its too ugly (or was that me ?)

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Bare

posted on 3/9/13 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
Fitness requires that one actually DOES something. No ifs and or buts.
Join a gym get a trainer (pricey but they will make a difference) Or just deteriorate and Die.
Simple choices actually :-)

cliftyhanger

posted on 3/9/13 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
As above, join a gym, go to spin classes (or whatever)
If you can't be motivated to do that, you have less than zero chance of training at home.

But only join on a short term contract....(daughter pays £20pm which includes all classes, so good value)

andylancaster3000

posted on 3/9/13 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Planet X currently have this on offer:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TRSTBMT/stealth_black_mag_turbo_trainer

£89.99 and apparently one of the quietest you can get.

[Edited on 3/9/13 by andylancaster3000]

adithorp

posted on 3/9/13 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Quieter. Yes. but not quiet - I couldn't use mine in the house as the tyre noise travels.

But if you can't be arsed using a bike outside don't expect to be bothered to use the TT - it's soul destroyingly dull, even if it is useful.

Having coached riders as far as World Champs level and done more than my fair share of hours on a turbo I have to agree with that.

A fan turbo is LOUD. A mag' turbo is quieter but not enough to listen to TV. If you like riding the bike just do that but harder. Make 20 mins of one ride at an intensity that you'd only be able to speak a couple of words at a time and in another do 3-5 flat out sprints (500m). Alternate the two 3x per week. How long (time wise) are the rides you're doing now?

You'd have to do at least the same on a turbo and the concentration levels required are immense to achieve the same results.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jps

posted on 3/9/13 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
But if you can't be arsed using a bike outside don't expect to be bothered to use the TT

Sorry - have to agree with the above. That said, TT can be less than mind numbingly dull if you stick a DVD on and headphones. I've chugged out over 3 hours in one go on a turbo before now and it wasn't too bad. That said, I was riding quite a lot at the time anyway...

Only have experience of mag-type: still noisy though. I've had a Tacx Sirrus Flow for about 7 or 8 years now - I'd certainly recommend it.

clanger

posted on 3/9/13 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
DON'T DO IT

As stated if you don't like tread mills, you will hate a TT. I bike quite a lot and do stupid things like Ironman. I was forced into using a TT last year due to a crash on the road bike and I hated every minute.................no make that every second on the thing. Awful mind numbingly boring pain machines.

If you can't get any fitness from riding your bike, then change your approach to riding it. Stay away from the canal tow paths, and flat high streets. head for the hills, go out of your way to find some and hammer up them. You'll build stamina, endurance, and fitness. Get out in all weathers and make sure your heart rate is pumping along with the pedals, you'll soon see some gains. Spend the £100 on some decent clothing and lights for the winter, you'll get more benefits than spending the 100squid on the torture trainer

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 3/9/13 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clanger
DON'T DO IT

AArrgghh.... don't know what to do now....

Thought this was going to be an easier decision than this....

I like riding out in the country, but since getting diagnosed with MS at the beginning of last year I'm a bit wobbly on my trusty steed. SWMBO doesn't like the idea of me going out on my own incase I end up in a ditch somewhere, so I have to organise a wing-man (which is harder than you might think). This is why I liked the idea of the TT. I can just jump on the bike whenever I want rather than waiting for a wing-man.

I think I'm going to buy the one from Planet X (above) because it's £89 delivered....
If it's really bad, keep your eye on ebay... you might just see this one on there next week... lol

MakeEverything

posted on 3/9/13 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
i dont really have much will power so the easier it is for me to exercise the better.

Resolve this FIRST. You wont get anywhere otherwise, and any investment (whether a machine or gym membership) will be a waste of money, as it will fade out after a few months.

Set yourself a target that you want to achieve, and learn about the different "Zones" that your heart rate needs to be in for various types of exercise objectives (Weight loss etc).

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

cadebytiger

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with all here - I have a decent turbo trainer and have used it about 3 times. I overheat because you are not moving and your in a warm house and get bored.

I wonder if you can find a bike club round your way? If you can find the right one you will cycle miles without even thinking about it.

Where abouts are you?

dhutch

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboyBut if you can't be arsed using a bike outside don't expect to be bothered to use the TT - it's soul destroyingly dull, even if it is useful.

I have to admit, especially given how idea for it the weather is at the moment, while I have never used a TT and bike XC/DH rather than road, get out on it and ride it in the read world!

I dont know what you do for work, where there is to ride near you, weekend commitments, whatever, but just set aside a time every week (or, realistically, most weeks) when your going to do an hour, and start doing that.

Daniel

adithorp

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

...You wont get anywhere otherwise...

You never do on a turbo trainer. loads of effort and sweat but never moves an inch...

jps

posted on 3/9/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cadebytiger
I overheat because you are not moving and your in a warm house and get bored.

I always turbo outside - on the patio - in bibshorts and no jersey . Always end up with a massive pool of sweat on the floor/all over the bike. Even if the temperature is in the minus degrees celsius. Genuinely.

Can't understand how people can use them indoors! I think i'd dessicate myself.

adithorp

posted on 3/9/13 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Factor in the cost of a large electric fan. I wouldn't use one without.

TimEllershaw

posted on 3/9/13 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add the other side of the argument....

I quite like my turbo and use it a couple of time per week. Fits with my home life because I can spend an hour on it in the evening when the kids are in bed, when it is too dark to ride out on the road. ( I ride Time Trials with a local club, so train a few hours per week )

I have a Tacx Flow. Good build quality. Not that quiet, so it banished out in the garage. A turbo-specific tyre helped a bit (but may be just a bit of marketing guff)

I've also tried various gym bikes, training rollers and a very expensive Watt Bike but prefer the turbo.

As for the boredom, yes, just sitting on it and trudging though a couple of hours at a constant pace is soul destroying. In my case, I have scheduled sets of intervals to ride (a couple of minutes fast and a couple of minutes slow), and I enjoy looking at the numbers ( heart rate, power, cadence) and seeing how my bodies responses chance over time.

Get a big desk fan to keep you cool.

I've never used any of the training DVDs but they do seem popular. ( try Sufferfest and 3LC )

Stick some earphones in a listen to music : cancels out some of the tyre noise and the right song choice will get you going.

Good Luck !

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cadebytiger

posted on 3/9/13 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
the fan sounds like a good idea but i still like to get somewhere when i put that much effort in!
coyoteboy

posted on 3/9/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Set yourself a target that you want to achieve, and learn about the different "Zones" that your heart rate needs to be in for various types of exercise objectives (Weight loss etc).

Ha I blast through the weight loss BPM at about 6mph on the flat, but I can spend 2 hours sat at 175bpm no problem on the road bike. I'd be bored to tears if I stuck to that principle!

Simon

posted on 3/9/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Get a set of rollers, not quite so boring cos you can fall off. And use a mountain bike on it and do an hour at a time. Also get a heart rate monitor.

ATB

Simon

jps

posted on 3/9/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Ha I blast through the weight loss BPM at about 6mph on the flat, but I can spend 2 hours sat at 175bpm no problem on the road bike. I'd be bored to tears if I stuck to that principle!

Probably means your zones aren't calculated correctly then...

luke2152

posted on 3/9/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Don't listen to everyone else. Use the shiny new trainer as motivation to excercise for a while. When that motivation wanes its time for new shoes...then fancy saddle...light wheels etc. Whatever keeps you going.

But honestly trainers are the most boring thing in the world. Only way I can use one is if I smash out a short really hard interval session (anyone else end up about 4m closer to the tv by the time they finish?!)

coyoteboy

posted on 4/9/13 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Probably means your zones aren't calculated correctly then...

Maybe. I'm 32 with a MHR of 188 (highest I've seen when murdering myself). As I start to tire in the second hour I can't get it above 165ish for the remaining hour.

quote:
Don't listen to everyone else. Use the shiny new trainer as motivation to excercise for a while. When that motivation wanes its time for new shoes...then fancy saddle...light wheels etc. Whatever keeps you going.

I used to use this tack. I now have 6 home built bikes in the garage and concluded I prefer building them to riding them. I'm watching this thread in case someone comes up with an idea to spark my enthusiasm!

quote:

Only way I can use one is if I smash out a short really hard interval session (anyone else end up about 4m closer to the tv by the time they finish?!)

I can't get enough resistance on my tacx mag to do anything but spin really fast, I'd really like to be able to stand up and put the boot in.

[Edited on 4/9/13 by coyoteboy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/9/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I suggest you buy a bike rack for the car so you can take the bike somewhere more enjoyable to ride. There are many great cycle tracks round the country which are a delight to explore and that will give you more motivation to use it plus it's a lot healthier and safer too. You can take snacks in a rucksack and spend hours sight seeing for free in the piece and quiet.

My bike rack fits on to the tow bar and stows in the boot if need be, it's easy and quick to fit and carries up to 3 bikes, got it from halfords. My wife was uninterested in push bikes till we got it, she likes it so much she bought a purple mountain bike of her own with butterfly's on it

[Edited on 4/9/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.