Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade for zx-12r?
e46m3c

posted on 22/9/13 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Fireblade for zx-12r?

Hi guys.

Think I'm gonna take the plunge and buy a BEC. Whilst looking online for my budget there are lots of blade powered 130bhp and a few zx-12r 175 bhp engined becs

Wondered about people's opinions of the two engines?

My budget is 5.5k and it will be used for trackdays and sprints so needs no creature comforts. Is that a reasonable budget?

I want to buy and modify a pre built car. Then decide if I want to build my own at a later date.

Caged mk indy with 175bhp in reach for my budget do you rekon? Any easy power upgrades if I went for a bladed engines?

Cheers
Chris

imp paul

posted on 22/9/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
hi both engines a very good and lots of upgrades for both but zx has more grunt all day long just the same as a busa but more revy as for the blade engine it is very nippy and has been very good to the kit car builds its all down to cost but both are very good
e46m3c

posted on 22/9/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Would I be correct in assuming it would be fairly easy to fit a cage if the chassis was built with just a roll bar?
ali f27

posted on 23/9/13 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hi you need to speak to Purdy on here he has just finished blade engined car and its for sale ring me on 07933787810
Cheers Ali

twybrow

posted on 23/9/13 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I currently run a ZX12R engine (175rwhp) and previously I ran a Triumph Daytona engine (~130rwhp), and the difference is quite considerable. The ZX12 has a lot more torque, and so it still feels very quick with two people on bard, whereas the previous engine didn't feel quite a s brutal when two up.

It really depends what you want from your car. A Fireblade is a cheap engine, and they are bomb proof AFAIK. There is also a lot of off the shelf tuning parts for when you get used to/bored of the power. The ZX12 has a lot more go, but they are more complicated, and more expensive to replace if things go wrong. In your position, I would be tempted to go for the fireblade, but buy a spare lump, and begin building up a replacement engine to drop in for the future (tuned N/A, or even a turbo charged lump). That way, you can rag the nuts off the Fireblade powered car, safe in the knowledge that you have a locost replacement.

e46m3c

posted on 23/9/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
sounds reasonable.

I am really after a bit of a rocket ship, i always have passengers on trackdays so probably best i go for the power option.

How much would a zx12-r lump set me back should one go pop? And i read the mk chassis is built around the engine at the factory, is it much of a job to transplant to a different engine? id assume new mounts, possibly ecu etc. hopefully prop can be adapted to fit.

is it easy to turbo a blade? ready made kits or diyable with commonly available turbo?

[Edited on 23/9/13 by e46m3c]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.