Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone identify my camshaft?
bumpy

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone identify my camshaft?

The camshaft in my 2 litre Pinto is marked as Ford H49 90E287.

I have checked the number with the local Ford dealer and he can find no record of it. The guy who built the engine some 12 years ago only remembered it as a mild GT cam.

Can anyone identify it?

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/10/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for being pessimistic but there is no way a ford dealer will have part numbers for a 1980's engine. I suspect all the microfiches would have been binned by now. Even 1990 cars are a waste of time going to dealers.

I'd suggest trying to find out what the cam lobe heights are for different cam types and comparing it against them. Burton power might be able to provide that.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bumpy

posted on 7/10/13 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Sorry for being pessimistic but there is no way a ford dealer will have part numbers for a 1980's engine. I suspect all the microfiches would have been binned by now. Even 1990 cars are a waste of time going to dealers.

I'd suggest trying to find out what the cam lobe heights are for different cam types and comparing it against them. Burton power might be able to provide that.

They did have Sierra and Granada stuff, but not Cortina or Capri. I wonder if there is somewhere like Ford Central Office that would know more.

Unless of course I strike lucky on here. There must have been more than one of these sold.

Volvorsport

posted on 7/10/13 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
is it an RS2000 cam ?

as an aside , i can go into a volvo dealer with my 1979 volvo 242 and order parts for it .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

snapper

posted on 8/10/13 at 05:38 AM Reply With Quote
RS2000 cam was standard
Only other cams Ford did was for Group 1 homologation
Normally cams have numbers and letters stamped in the cam rear end
I have not seen those numbers and if there cast in the shaft they done mean much

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mark chandler

posted on 8/10/13 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Probably just a batch number for the cam blank, you need to measure the duration and lift to work out what you have.

The standard cam is actually very good when timed in accurately, you need it advanced by around 5 - 7 degrees for most mid end punch.

Regards Mark

bumpy

posted on 9/10/13 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Probably just a batch number for the cam blank, you need to measure the duration and lift to work out what you have.

The standard cam is actually very good when timed in accurately, you need it advanced by around 5 - 7 degrees for most mid end punch.

Regards Mark

If it helps here is a piccy of the end number. The H49 is a casting number on the shaft and as suggested cam be ignored.

Does this look like a ford part number - there are cerainly some fainter inscribed markings as well which read ST.1 (Stage One?)

Is there a reference somewhere as to how one can measure the cam duration and lift?

[Edited on 9/10/13 by bumpy]

bumpy

posted on 9/10/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Look to have drawn a complete blank on this having tried Burtons, Kent and Piper so will just put it back in and enjoy it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.