Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thermostat gasket
bumpy

posted on 9/10/13 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thermostat gasket

I have the head off the 2l Pinto at present and the area around the thermostat housing seal looks a bit iffy.

Its probably not as bad as it first looks as the gasket edge sits about 3mm back from the actual hole and indeed it was not leaking before.

I will use red Hermatite with the standard (paper) gasket, but is there anything more I can do while the head is off?

britishtrident

posted on 9/10/13 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
A previous owner has used cheap methanol blend antifreeze. No worries as long as the gasket has a complete ring to seal on, if you wanted you could use grey or black Loctite RTV to for the seal or make the surface good with metallised filler.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Not Anumber

posted on 9/10/13 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
odd to see this as im just changing the thermostat gasket on my pinto. I know fully well why it leaked though - when fitting the new engine i removed the thermostat housing to give more clearance at the front as i was lowering it into the engine bay.

I should have just unbolted the headlight bar, i ended up doing it anyway.
I should have been patient and ordered a new gasket instead of being impatient and just refitting it with Hylomar.

Scuzzle

posted on 9/10/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'd use the grey Dirko Seal on it over the Hermatite, it's great stuff, a lot of modern engines have the sump, oil pump, water pump etc fitted up just with this, even if you fit a gasket a smear of this either side won't go wrong.
bumpy

posted on 9/10/13 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Is there an option to buy a thicker slightly more complient gasket?
britishtrident

posted on 9/10/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
You really don't need anything special either use a paper gasket or a decent quality RTV follow the instructions and let the bead of sealant start to cure before fully tightening.

If you want to use a paper gasket and jointing compound Red Hermetite is old fashioned and messy 1950s era stuff use Blue Hylomar.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.