Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: type 9 - reverse hard to engage
xico_ze54

posted on 13/10/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
type 9 - reverse hard to engage

hi

I found a type 9 gearbox that is hard to engage the reverse gear and a tittle bit the 5th as well.

I confess that in all old ones I found, the gears engaged very well even without clutch.

what must be? is there any bit in the bottom of gear stick damaged or something inside the gearbox?

thanks in advance
Amadeu

http://www.viseudesign.com/Sevenesque-36.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 13/10/13 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Take the gearstick off and take a look inside - there should be a plastic "saddle" that clips over the end of the selector lever inside the hole (you can just hook your finger under and lift it up).

They do wear out eventually, and will give symptoms similar to yours. They are cheap and easy to replace.

UPDATE: found this one on the UK ebay, to give you some idea of its appearance. This one seems expensive, though!

eBay Item

[Edited on 13/10/13 by David Jenkins]

coozer

posted on 13/10/13 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I had a horrible change on mine slipping into 5th instead of 3rd, hard to find reverse..

Went for a shot shifter from Rally design.. and that sorted it all out.

One of these:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1360_339&products_id=2009

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

xico_ze54

posted on 13/10/13 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Take the gearstick off and take a look inside - there should be a plastic "saddle" that clips over the end of the selector lever inside the hole (you can just hook your finger under and lift it up).

They do wear out eventually, and will give symptoms similar to yours. They are cheap and easy to replace.

UPDATE: found this one on the UK ebay, to give you some idea of its appearance. This one seems expensive, though!

eBay Item

[Edited on 13/10/13 by David Jenkins]

thanks for help.

when you said about that piece I went on to Ebay and looked precisely to that item you put on the link. but if you say it is expensive, where can I get it cheapper?

http://www.viseudesign.com/Sevenesque-36.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 13/10/13 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xico_ze54

thanks for help.

when you said about that piece I went on to Ebay and looked precisely to that item you put on the link. but if you say it is expensive, where can I get it cheapper?

I'm guessing that it's expensive - it's been 10 years since I bought one! Maybe that is the price these days...

Have a look to see if you need one before buying it, though. Does the gearstick rattle from side to side when in gear? That's a good clue.

bumpy

posted on 3/11/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Does the gearstick rattle from side to side when in gear? That's a good clue.

My gearstick vibrates (fizzes) at about 2500 revs in 1st and 2nd. I had a big ally gear knob on top and recently replaced it with a slightly lighter knob which has helped a lot.

Do you think I should replace this part. If the part is out, what are the visual clues that it is worn?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.