Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: knackered alternator
AndyW

posted on 27/10/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
knackered alternator

After a drive out the other night, I noticed a rather loud rattle. Further investigation revealed something inside my alternator. I took the drive belt off and the noise stopped, spun the pulley by hand and the noise came back. So my alternator is clearly poorly.

Is there any where that anyone would recommend to have them refurbished or is this a waste of money and just buy a new one??

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Ta

Andy

[Edited on 27/10/13 by AndyW]

big_wasa

posted on 27/10/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
If the bearings go they grumble If its rattling then you could have just lost a nut, bolt or washer in there.

Take it to bits.

edit

from the pic I can see there is a piece of casting broken of and missing. Has it fell in ?

Have you used a leaver on it to tension the belt ?

[Edited on 27/10/13 by big_wasa]

britishtrident

posted on 27/10/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like either the bearing is shot or the pulley is spinning on the shaft.

You really don't want to know how much a brand new unit costs, for this reason rebuilt/reconditioned units are all that are that is generally available but quality varies enormously.

Those Hitachi alternators generally last for interstellar mileages without trouble so personally my choice would be pick up a secondhand unit clean it up and fit new brushes.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ashg

posted on 27/10/13 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I rebuilt my own its pretty simple. Take apart get bearings out, go to bearing shop buy new ones then rebuild, total cost £17, time about an hour.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Bare

posted on 27/10/13 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
DIY rebuilds are possible .. have done it. But it's Not just bearings that can make failed bearing noises.
Diodes can cause this as well
Also it's clever to insert a fresh VR while at it. Cost of Bits Retail can easily exceed a professional rebuild .. sans the typ 12 month warrantee :-)
Local Auto Electric shop will rebuild one's Own Alternator for $100 ..same day service.
Although last time (recently) I went with the dead Alternator from my Crap Astrovan .. the cost of a Brand New Alternator was only $10 more.
Dunno why.. but it was a simple decision .

AndyW

posted on 27/10/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
If the bearings go they grumble If its rattling then you could have just lost a nut, bolt or washer in there.

Take it to bits.

edit

from the pic I can see there is a piece of casting broken of and missing. Has it fell in ?

Have you used a leaver on it to tension the belt ?

[Edited on 27/10/13 by big_wasa]

The belt tensioner is on the other side, so no lever o alternator, but good spot warren, had not seen that. I think I will take it to bits and have a look inside.

Thanks, will post up results......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.