Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BECs driftable?
e46m3c

posted on 6/11/13 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
BECs driftable?

Might sounds like An odd question. But could you have fun on a drift day with a BEC?

I'm looking for a new toy. Options are e46 m3 for track and drift. BEC for track sprints or a bike to go mega fast.

If BEC can drift it would be a good alternative to an m3 as should be very involving.

Thanks

twybrow

posted on 6/11/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes of course, but they are not easy to drift. A low amount of torque, and a short wheel base make a car that can be quite snappy to hold in a drift. Certainly I have no problem breaking traction, but things happen very fast in these cars...! A longer wheelbase generally means a car is much slower to drift, and typically the higher torque of a decent car engine will be easier to break traction...

So yes it can be done, but it is not a natural born drift car IMHO.

sdh2903

posted on 6/11/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
As above not the easiest drift car, You would be better off with something turbo cec powered like an sr20det engined car or something similarly high in torque imo for drifting.
adithorp

posted on 6/11/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Having done a drift day in mine (on the drift circuit @ Oulton)... It can be done but it's not easy.

It's a low grip surface there so torque wasn't the problem (and you can just use revs anyway) The problem is with the low CoG and light weight there's very little weight transfer to initiate the drift. BMW's were sliding all over the place at will but the Fury just wanted to go quick. Even with the instructor driving mine (ex F3, BTCC and UK drift championship) he was working hard to get sideways. He did some impressive laps once he'd got the hang of it but we were lapping in 1/2 the time of other cars. Getting the back out under trail-braking going in, then smooth onto the power to keep it going meant very little margin for error.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nick205

posted on 6/11/13 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
As twybrow comments, once traction is broken, it tends to be a very quick thereafter, usually ending up backwards!

JonnyS

posted on 6/11/13 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on how they are set up. Mine was very stiff. I am no driving god, but could drift my Indy R1 all day, plenty of angle etc. No snap whatsoever.
Slimy38

posted on 6/11/13 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to ask a really daft question then, how do Caterham do that drifting thing at Stoneleigh every year? Or is it specifically BEC's that can be a handful to drift?
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/11/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect the bike clutch will not enjoy it, in fact, I know it won't.... :-)

Any front engined car engined car looks a far better bet. Westlomkcaterfield, anything of that ilk. Good tyres on the front, cheap eastern tyres on the rear.

rdodger

posted on 6/11/13 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I'm going to ask a really daft question then, how do Caterham do that drifting thing at Stoneleigh every year? Or is it specifically BEC's that can be a handful to drift?

Very stiff rear suspension
Narrow tyres at 60 psi

Big dirty cheats!

rodgling

posted on 6/11/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I recommend a 7 with an M3 engine and LSD… it practically drifts itself, very very easy to control. Or any torquey, light, front-engine-RWD CEC really. Not a turbo though, I would think the surge in torque when it comes on boost would make it very hard to manage.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.