Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PC sluggish at times
Alan B

posted on 11/11/13 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
PC sluggish at times

Well I hope that question was vague enough...

My PC is fairly decent....120Gb ss drive, 12Gb RAM, i7-960 cpu, 1 Tb main HD. ATI FirePro V4800 Solidworks compatible graphics card.

My main use is for Solidworks and office products which it runs pretty well most of the time.

Trouble is it seems that when I have say 5 or 6 tabs in IE 10 open that it's struggling to keep up...I can hear the fans kicking in very often.

Right now I have IE running with 7 tabs open and nothing else yet it's showing 12% cpu and 4.64GB Ram usage.

Any clues?

Cheers,

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 11/11/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
what is is like running another browser ? Firefox or Chrome

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Alan B

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have chrome, so I will try that...cheers.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TrophyJem

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
If it's the latest version of solidworks then their min requirement is 16GB of ram. I was told double would be better.
Alan B

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I know that 16GB or more would be better...but where does it say that?

The official Solidworks site says 2GB...which I know is ridiculous, but I've not seen 16GB recommended anywhere...

Also I have my sluggish windows performance even SW isn't running...

Thanks, for the input.

Peteff

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Download Glary Utilities and run one click maintenance and clear your browser history and cache, it can only help.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Alan B

posted on 11/11/13 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Pete,

I'll give it a try.....

Alan

Davegtst

posted on 11/11/13 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Have you blown the dust out recently. I've known it make a huge difference to performance on blocked up pc's before.
Alan B

posted on 11/11/13 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Another great idea......cheers...
Bare

posted on 11/11/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Glary utilities can help.. some.
But as your system is struggling with excess IE tabs open.
Easiest Solution is to run few or One IE open tab :-)

Agriv8

posted on 11/11/13 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I would look at slowest link first probably bb supplier you could be hitting max downloads especially during busy periods or if you have other devices (tv /streaming ). Is it still the same at 6am in the morning .

Regards Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Alan B

posted on 11/11/13 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
More great suggestions.

Another thing I noticed is that simple office tasks can sometimes be very slow....example doing a one-note screen capture (usually almost instant) opening a small word file (again usually very quick)

As I'm following your suggestions it does seem to be improving.....so fingers crossed.

Scuzzle

posted on 11/11/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've found my browser speed can slow down when Windows in uploading updates in the background. I sometimes don't realise it's doing it until the next day when it installs them and the internet picks up again.

Well worth blowing out the dust and stoor, does make a huge difference to the cooling and how often the fans kick in.

AntonUK

posted on 11/11/13 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have your mainboard drivers installed?

Build Photos Here

Alan B

posted on 11/11/13 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Anton,

Hmmmm..mainboard drivers....never heard of those..please enlighten me....if it doesn't have them it's run 2.5 years without....

All,

Well I did the Glary thing...seemed to help

I tried Chrome.......but abandonded it as it kept trying to install a bunch of crap I didn't want..

I cleaned it out...not been done since new...about 2.5 years ago.....quite dusty in the cpu heatsink...

Verdict so far....much better....not even heard a fan yet.

Question...would it have been a good idea to re-thermal paste the heatsink/processor interface?...there was paste still on and it seated well...but I just wondered.

Also I installed a cpu temp monitoring app which is showing a steady 50 ish degrees per core at light load (like now) but peaking at around 100 degrees when pushed hard with a rendering job.......any thoughts?

Cheers everyone....I knew team LCB would deliver.

ATB Alan

joneh

posted on 12/11/13 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
If you've peeled the CPU off and put it back, you should re-paste it.

Does your IE have many add ins installed?

Alan B

posted on 12/11/13 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Joneh,

It wasn't so much of a peel than a straight lift...no real sense of being stuck...that said I will repaste tomorrow to be on the safe side......cheers

My IE has an absolute minimum of add-ins...mainly because they annoy the s**t out of me....

Thanks all

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.