Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mistery clutch leak
Nitrogeno25

posted on 15/11/13 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mistery clutch leak

I've been very happy since I change to a Duratec (raceline bellhousing to type 9 with Mondeo V6 concentric slave) more than a year ago.

Two or three moths ago I noticed a low level in the clutch fluid. I put some cardboard under the car but couldn't find any leak. I refilled the reservoir at least 2 times now, but I don't know where the leak came from.

I thought it could leak only when driving but as far as I can see everything looks fluid free...

Could it be the slave leaking and the fluid sitting inside the bellhousing or worse going to the gearbox?

Thanks!

prawnabie

posted on 15/11/13 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
If the bell housing has an inspection plate where it drops below the sump level I would take that off first. Clutch dust/muck may have sealed the plate and stopped any fluid dripping.

I would look sooner rather than later though as it may make its way onto the clutch

[Edited on 15/11/13 by prawnabie]

Nitrogeno25

posted on 15/11/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
If the bell housing has an inspection plate where it drops below the sump level I would take that off first. Clutch dust/muck may have sealed the plate and stopped any fluid dripping.

I would look sooner rather than later though as it may make its way onto the clutch

[Edited on 15/11/13 by prawnabie]

Engine out job

Can the cluth fluid contaminate the clutch plate in case it's there? Don't like the idea of changing clutch plate (only 2000 miles) and not that cheap (AP racing plate)

Thanks!

prawnabie

posted on 15/11/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it can, someone on here once told me you can clean contaminated clutch plates in coca cola!
austin man

posted on 15/11/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Brother in law had a similar problem with a hydraulic clutch on the type nine and zetec engine, the problem was down to the spacer used to throw the slave cylinder forward it was not long enough leading to the cylinder to pop is seal. We had another spacer made to compensate no problems since

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

adithorp

posted on 16/11/13 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you're loosing fluid from the res' then it has to be going somewhere.

If it's from the (concentric) slave then it'll be in the bellhousing but normally that'd leak/seep out between the 'housing and engine. If it's not showing there and it's not possible to loosen the tin shield, you could drill a small hole in the bottom of the bellhousing just to confirm it isn't filling up. That'd have no detrimental effect and would save taking the engine out just to check.

The other posibility is from the master cylinder and that'd show in your footwell, or a pipe joint.

If the fluid gets onto the clutch plate then you'll get judder as the dust and fluid combine to a sticky paste (and eventually slip if it gets very wet) and then it's a new plate; Cleaning never works long term.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

elizaharry

posted on 18/11/13 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
your clutch cylinder which is attached to your clutch pedal that builds up clutch pressure when you depress the pedal this has gone bad and started to leak a very common problem with fluid clutches after they get a lot of age and miles on them you will have to replace it and bleed the air out of the system before your clutch is right again.

truck driving CDL schools

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.