Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shopping scanners?
coozer

posted on 9/12/13 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
Shopping scanners?

Heres one for ya..

Wor lass and me were in the Tesco's the other night and there was a bird with a scanner bleeping away at everything she picked up..

Anyway found it was a Motorola MC17.. looked at google and cant get over the price!

http://www.thebarcodewarehouse.co.uk/barcode-scanners-and-readers/wireless-barcode-scanners/motorola-mc17/?gclid=CLagweWEorsCFZLKtAodV3kATg

On google theres a few apps come up but cant find anything that scans the price and adds up as you go along.

Anyone point me to an app for my Windows phone that will scan the prices and add them up as we go along?

Or, anyone got a MC17 that going cheap?

That would be real handy for £5 0ff £40 vouchers we get all the time!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

prawnabie

posted on 9/12/13 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
It would be useless unless linked to tescos network, my mom does a lot of work with these and they are always going down mid shop- they have to fetch another scanner, link it to the clubcard again and then transfer the purchases over. sounds a right pita to me.
Slimy38

posted on 9/12/13 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure they're not the 'quick shop' scanners that the supermarket provide to customers? Our local Sainsbury's (we don't do Tesco... ) has a rack of these scanners, basically you do the shopping as normal scanning in each item, then when you get to the checkout you hand over the scanner, then they just visually scan your shopping and ask for payment. The idea is that you've already done the scanning as you shop and you spend about a minute at the checkout.

You don't actually buy the scanner yourself, but you have to sign up via your loyalty card in some way.

I don't know what each supermarket call their version, but I have seen them quite often.

MikeR

posted on 9/12/13 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
as originally trialed by safeway 13 years ago. I'm not convinced by it.
MikeRJ

posted on 9/12/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
As others have said, you don't buy the scanner, you pick it up from the rack at the front of the store. You swipe your clubcard and a scanner is released for you to use. The scanner is linked to the store database via WiFi so it knows about prices, special offers etc.

A scanner by itself would be completely useless to you unless linked into the stores database system, and the same would go for any kind of phone application to emulate this. Something tells me Tesco wouldn't be overly keen to open up the Wifi links to their price database to members of the public...

BTW, what does "wor" mean? Seen it a few times and made no sense to me!

[Edited on 9/12/13 by MikeRJ]

robinj66

posted on 9/12/13 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

NE dialect for "our"

[Edited on 9/12/13 by robinj66]

tul214

posted on 9/12/13 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
quote:

NE dialect for "our"

[Edited on 9/12/13 by robinj66]

LOL...
Wor Lass

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

TimEllershaw

posted on 9/12/13 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
As others have said, you don't buy the scanner, you pick it up from the rack at the front of the store. You swipe your clubcard and a scanner is released for you to use. The scanner is linked to the store database via WiFi so it knows about prices, special offers etc.

A scanner by itself would be completely useless to you unless linked into the stores database system, and the same would go for any kind of phone application to emulate this. Something tells me Tesco wouldn't be overly keen to open up the Wifi links to their price database to members of the public...

Agreed - the scanner has to link to the store's price database. The bar codes are just product ID and don't hold prices.

Tesco do have a phone app. Targeted at home/online shopping rather than use in the shop. You can scan things (as you use them) and it adds them to your online shopping list ready for your next order. The app equivalent of the post it note on the fridge that says buy more beer/wine/vodka/etc. No reason why you couldn't use it as you are going round the shop (assuming shop prices are the same as on-line prices, and you have Internet access on your phone)

tim.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimEllershaw

posted on 9/12/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
as originally trialed by safeway 13 years ago. I'm not convinced by it.

We used to use it in Safeway, I always liked it. A bit of a tradeoff between taking longer to go around the shop, but no queuing at the checkout.

( plus you get to "shoot" annoying shoppers with your laser "gun" )

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 9/12/13 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you have a calculator app on your phone?
And would you really put stuff back if you reach your shopping limit? I know I don't.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

serieslandy

posted on 9/12/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
It's useful if you have a voucher for £5 off £40 for example and you normally only spend £30
02GF74

posted on 9/12/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
are you nuts? they have people in the shop paid to scan your stuff - why do you want to do it yourself?

coozer

posted on 9/12/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, that all makes sense now, just didn't know about it and haven't seen it in the store before.
Ill check it out next we are in there.

As for wor, it means my lass, our lass, our Johnny etc, its a saying for family and close friends up here

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coyoteboy

posted on 9/12/13 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Most smart phones can scan bar codes and even look up product names etc online these days.

Don't know what the point is in this usage unless it is the quick shop option some places offer. Nofaster than using the self-scan aisles?

loggyboy

posted on 9/12/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Most smart phones can scan bar codes and even look up product names etc online these days.

Don't know what the point is in this usage unless it is the quick shop option some places offer. Nofaster than using the self-scan aisles?

Because you scan as you go, you dont need to rescan at checkout, so saves time.

Mistral Motorsport

ashg

posted on 9/12/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
now he knows its £500 and they are giving them out at the front it will be exiting in a shopping bag

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

gremlin1234

posted on 9/12/13 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote

and you can put your shopping nicely in your shopping bags to saves double / treble handling it.
until they want to check something!!!

GeoffT

posted on 9/12/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've used these a few of times at my local tesco, for some reason the system doesn't like the look of me and always demands a manual check which can be a bit nerve wracking - bugger, did I remember to scan every item????

Also, if the odd bottle of booze has dropped into your trolley this means you have to wait for an assistant to verify it, which can be a further long wait at busy times. Strangely they never seem to ask if I'm over 18 these days, most annoying...

coyoteboy

posted on 10/12/13 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Still don't get it. I only scan once too. And I can pack better because I don't have to so it as I go and try to figure out what best goes in which bags when I'm not sure what I'm buying yet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.