Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: who's made a diy oil catch tank?
blakep82

posted on 14/12/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
who's made a diy oil catch tank?

Looking for ideas really.
I'm thinking of getting a catch tank for the breather on the engine. I dont really want to feed it back to the intake, just wondering who's made their own, and how they did it?
Ive seen drinks cans (or are they just covers?) Or aluminium water bottles
I know they're heavy, but what about disposable welding gas cylinders?
Lets see what you've made

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scutter

posted on 14/12/13 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I made one to fit the corner of the engine bay on my x-flow car out of sheet steel and a £5 airfilter

Pre sva 09
Pre sva 09

Regards Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 14/12/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
When I needed one, I used a plastic milk container untill I had time to make one.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrism

posted on 14/12/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
You could go the locost method and just use a plastic drinks bottle (500ml size) and drill some holes in the cap for the ventialtion and the breather pipe.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Benzine

posted on 14/12/13 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
I know they're heavy, but what about disposable welding gas cylinders?

That's what I used Easy to weld a bit of steel pipe to so a mini cone filter can be added on

Wadders

posted on 14/12/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Me too, and its still on cheap light and helps save the planet.

Originally posted by designer
When I needed one, I used a plastic milk container untill I had time to make one.

Volvorsport

posted on 14/12/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
windscreen washer bottle. PU the breather pipes in.....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

mark chandler

posted on 14/12/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I wandered down to homebase and picked up a stainless sugar container for a couple of pounds, punched a couple of holes in the lid, inserted some grommets and pushed the engine hose and filter.
rdodger

posted on 14/12/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
How about 1 of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Ltr-Aluminium-Water-Drink-Sport-Carabina-Bottle-Flask-Cycling-Camping-Hiking-/260954044352?pt=UK_SportingGoods_HikingEquipm ent_RL&var=560088034983&hash=item3cc212b7c0

GreigM

posted on 14/12/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
You could go the locost method and just use a plastic drinks bottle (500ml size) and drill some holes in the cap for the ventialtion and the breather pipe.

this is what I've got...as light as it gets, transparent (to see when its getting full) and very locost.....mounted with cable ties.

johnemms

posted on 14/12/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
After 2 years using an old WD40 can with a hole in the side I got one of these..
Linky Catch Can

( took about a week to wait )

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

40inches

posted on 14/12/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
How about 1 of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Ltr-Aluminium-Water-Drink-Sport-Carabina-Bottle-Flask-Cycling-Camping-Hiking-/260954044352?pt=UK_SportingGoods_HikingEquipm ent_RL&var=560088034983&hash=item3cc212b7c0

They are perfect, and also make a good rad expansion tank They weigh next to nothing and you can get a lightweight ally
holder for them.

steve m

posted on 14/12/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
+1

I use two in ali . one for oil , and one of an overflow
there cheap, and don't look to bad

oh, and very light !

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

blakep82

posted on 14/12/13 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Very interesting!
So do they not have to be well sealed? obviously theres a filter on there, but I mean for dirt and stuff getting in through unwelded joints.
Could I just take a bottle and stick a hose in the top with no cap? Or does it need pipes glued on?
Anyone got any pics of theirs?

Might have a go with a disposable gas bottle tonight, just for something to do

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

steve m

posted on 14/12/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Have to add, i bought mine in the local pound shop

can not remember how much they cost though

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

coyoteboy

posted on 14/12/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I got a SIGG 500ml bottle for 99p, screwed in two compression fittings, stuck in two bits of 15mm copper pipe and filled it with pan scrubbers (metal). Ran it back to the turbo inlet, worked fine for 5 years until I decided i couldn't be bothered with it anymore- no reason, just took up space.

chrism

posted on 14/12/13 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Very interesting!
So do they not have to be well sealed? obviously theres a filter on there, but I mean for dirt and stuff getting in through unwelded joints.
Could I just take a bottle and stick a hose in the top with no cap? Or does it need pipes glued on?
Anyone got any pics of theirs?

Might have a go with a disposable gas bottle tonight, just for something to do

Its just a catch tank for oil being blowed out so no worries about dirt and moisture, except maybes for getting sucked back up the vent tube to the engine, but with a long enough tube there should be no worries as not going to be much of a vacuum.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Dusty

posted on 14/12/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I use a coke can. Hole where the tab was pulled holds the hose nicely. Very light. Replace it whenever I'm drinking a coke in the garage. Fanta or Sprite cans work too! If you want to be posh put some steel wool inside and lead the pipe to below it. This condenses the oil/water vapour so it drops to the base of the can. Cheaper than a mini filter. Possibly more effective too. I have seen mini filters saturated with oil virtualy stopping gas flow.
blakep82

posted on 15/12/13 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
Plastic bottle or coke can it is then! :-) can probably attach that to the side of the engine with a single bolt and p clip somewhere too.
Is it ok for iva too? Or will he want to see something more professional looking?

Bare

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:41 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of usable ideas for a simple effective can.
Unless of course saddled with a Crossflow in which case a serious and hi capacity Catch can setup is Mandatory.
Those dinosaurs wee out their oil at a prodigious rate.

jacko

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
WD 40 tin as catch tank
WD 40 tin as catch tank
I started with this and now have a old spray gun canister with a small filter fitted on top

-------!!------
-------!!------

Jacko

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.