Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How strict is IVA on not getting a Q plate?
Piooly

posted on 1/1/14 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
How strict is IVA on not getting a Q plate?

I am building a haynes roadster and pretty much everything will be new. The question is for example I am using sierra front hubs. You cant buy them new so are you allowed to refurb them so they look like new. The last thing I want is a Q plate when the car is registered, I just dont like the look of them. The engine is second hand but again, I will be stripping the whole thing down and replacing all the bearing gaskets etc and then will make sure the engine looks like new when I am finished.

Bascially the only parts that wont be officially new but all will be refurbed and made to look like new are, engine, gearbox, diff.

I know the rules say you can have 1 part refurbed but how strict are they about this?

Cheers.

ste

posted on 1/1/14 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
There's a place called microsoft word that sells new and refurbished parts and provides lovely invoices as proof
big_wasa

posted on 1/1/14 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
The reg is down to Dvla not the iva. The only age matter for iva is that of the engine for emissions.

You could buy new sierra uprights from rally design ect a few years ago.

Piooly

posted on 1/1/14 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
yes those were my intial thought, I did think its highly unlikely the tester actually goes into that level of investigation....

good stuff

mookaloid

posted on 1/1/14 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
If you go by the rules then you are nowhere near to getting a new plate IMHO

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

ReMan

posted on 1/1/14 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sie rra doner
Go for age related and save a load of stress

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ō≈ōﺣ

fesycresy

posted on 1/1/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
As big wasa said, the IVA and registration are unrelated.

But a word of caution with MS invoices, I know one supplier had a call from DVLA to verify the invoice!

Sierra donor and a 'year plate' for me too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Piooly

posted on 1/1/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
problem is I am not using a doner so I dont have any plate. The only parts that will be second hand but I would refurb them are, engine, gearbox/bell housing and diff. Everything else on the car will be new.

I mean the gearbox will be a refurbed unit anyway done by a company not me, I had hope I could clean the diff up and make it tidy.

Also what happens in the IVA when parts are hidden from eye and dont have access. For example I had planed to cover the underneath of the whole car where possible with panels.

bob

posted on 1/1/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra V5 is the only way to go really at your designated VRO, plenty around and you probably wont even have to ask as someone is bound to have one on SORN.

If you get one just make sure YOU put it on SORN, this keeps the V5 live and in play.

Although 10 years ago i registered on a Q plate and to be honest it has been more than helpfull re MOT and easy emissions, tested on visible only for undetermined year. If age related i would never get the emissions even near with the fueling i have.

jps

posted on 1/1/14 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Piooly
problem is I am not using a doner so I dont have any plate. The only parts that will be second hand but I would refurb them are, engine, gearbox/bell housing and diff. Everything else on the car will be new.

I mean the gearbox will be a refurbed unit anyway done by a company not me, I had hope I could clean the diff up and make it tidy.

Also what happens in the IVA when parts are hidden from eye and dont have access. For example I had planed to cover the underneath of the whole car where possible with panels.

I expect they'll ask you to remove panels or provide evidence, i.e. photos, to show what is there.

you'll probably find someone who will sell you docs for a donor ( ie a v5 for a sierra) to enable an application for age related plate. not legal but more likely to avoid a q plate than your current plan I think...

ReMan

posted on 1/1/14 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, hence buy a cheap doner and use the parts off it and the V5 for an age related plate
Your more likely to convince the DVLA that the front hubs, axels steering etc are from your doner, than you are that all only 1 item is refurbished as new

Re IVA access, then pictures are good of anything that might be questioned, such as seatbelt mounts, they either need to be seen or again, proven to be good and pictures will save stripping the car at the test

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ō≈ōﺣ

adithorp

posted on 1/1/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Piooly
yes those were my intial thought, I did think its highly unlikely the tester actually goes into that level of investigation....

good stuff

As already said above, the IVA/tester/VOSA is not interested in the eventual registration. That's dealt with by DVLA. For a new reg' you must use all new components (and supply receipts for them) with the exception of ONE component that must be "reconditioned as new" and have proof (receipt) of such.

Now it may be that Word has been a source of those receipts in the past when they were dealt with by different offices, who only did relatively few kit reg' and weren't always fully familiar with the rules. That allowed a little bending of the rules. With all registrations going to Swansea office (and presumably the same desk) there's a good chance this "loop-hole" will be plugged and receipts double checked.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Andy S

posted on 1/1/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think that at this time anyone has a definite answer on your question, it is only recently that the DLVA closed all of the local offices and changed to a central process. I am sure that over the next few months it will become clear how rigorous, incompetently or inconsistently the DVLA will deal with prevention of fraudulently presenting a car as new when it clearly is not.

Odd that there is still a stigma attached with Q plates - I had to laugh recently with a comment on a picture in December PPC which stated " Bonnet says Westfield Q plate says Locost" - I bet every Q plate Westfield owner loves them for that comment -

My old Q plate Westifield's plate said - " not a single donor or new parts build"

theprisioner

posted on 1/1/14 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
My information from the office that processed my IVA who said they had been asked to take on the first registration of kit cars inc the designation new, age related and Q plate. They had refused to take it on, once and were in discussion with DOT. That was last summer. I get the impression a gross simplification is on the way that we may not necessarily like. I can think of one, all new parts only after a certain date. So get kit finished now!

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Dave Bailey

posted on 1/1/14 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Registered mine recently and the focus items for age related were..

Possession of a V5 from donor
Receipts for new parts used and listing the used / refurbished parts from the donor...
Receipt with proof of manufactured new for the chassis... Declaration of newness.. Real focus on this in particular...

Dave B

Slimy38

posted on 1/1/14 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
Receipt with proof of manufactured new for the chassis... Declaration of newness.. Real focus on this in particular...

This is what is worrying me, especially if they're also paying more attention to the receipts.

prawnabie

posted on 1/1/14 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey

This is what is worrying me, especially if they're also paying more attention to the receipts.

I fyou have built the chassis yourself can you not supply a letter saying you built the chassis proving its newness?

Dave Bailey

posted on 1/1/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think but don't quote me but the raw material receipt and a declaration of self built chassis should tick the boxes...

Thanks
Dave B

Piooly

posted on 1/1/14 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
So if it were on a q plate there is no problems with emissions???? This could be very handy

Maybe I should swallow my thoughts on plates.

Dave Bailey

posted on 1/1/14 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
No .... Emissions go on the age of the engine... Q plate or age related have the same emission requirement.

Dave B

theduck

posted on 1/1/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
As above, however, often mistakenly tested as visible smoke only
prawnabie

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
For IVA the emissions will be tested on the age of the engine, if you cannot prove the age then the car will be tested to full BETs criteria (meaning you will need a cat) - regardless of how you want to register it.

How it will be tested at MOT will depend on how it is registered. At Q plate will be tester to pre 1974 specs (visible smoke) age related or new regs will be tested to the age of the vehicle.

Shaun

Benzine

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to
be treated as being first used on 1 January 1971 [/thread]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck

If no emissions data it presented to the MOT tester when he enters the reg. no, then it will be correctly tested for visible smoke only. This should never happen on any car that has been through SVA/IVA but in practice it seems a number of people haven't had the emissions data printed on their Q plate V5.

bob

posted on 1/1/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by theduck

If no emissions data it presented to the MOT tester when he enters the reg. no, then it will be correctly tested for visible smoke only. This should never happen on any car that has been through SVA/IVA but in practice it seems a number of people haven't had the emissions data printed on their Q plate V5.

Yes plenty of Q plate V5's do not have emission data.

I have mentioned before that i was disappointed at first not to get age related, paperwork fault was actually my error but i am more than happy with the outcome.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.