Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 sticky throttle
corrado vr6

posted on 3/1/14 at 01:37 AM Reply With Quote
R1 sticky throttle

Hi there,

My bec R1 seems to develope a sticky throttle as it warms up, ie: after initial starting it'll rev like a bike very responsive and the revs will drop off very quickly back down to idle, however when warm it starts to take a long time to come back down for the revs to drop, it's very noticeable when driving and changing gear, I've oiled up the linkage and springs that's all standard on the bike engine, I believe I have good earths so it shouldn't be earthing through the throttle cable (is there a way of checking)?
I also have an additional spring on the pedal end which appears to return smoothly so I'm out of ideas at the moment, any suggestions welcome

Edited to say I also failed my IVA on lambda (co and hc fine) could an air leak on throttle bodies be a connection between the two?

[Edited on 3/1/14 by corrado vr6]

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

CosKev3

posted on 3/1/14 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
A return spring on your throttle bodies I would suggest.

your return spring on pedal is returning the pedal ok, but the throttle cable is not designed/strong enough to push the butterflies back to the idle position, a bike runs a twin cable set up.

Coopz

posted on 3/1/14 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Greg,

Not sure whether it's the same issue, but I also suffered from a sticking throttle when the engine was warm (R1 5VY)

I ordered a new cable from venhill, located in dorking. They do a teflon lined featherlite cable which is low friction and copes well with the heat of the engine bay. I also changed my cable route for a longer one, eliminating the tight angles. Finally I loosened off the pedal bolt, thus improving the pedal movement. All seems to be ok, fingers crossed I haven't suffered from a sticking throttle since.

Toby

Davey D

posted on 3/1/14 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
What year R1 is it? On my 06 model i had an issue for a few outings where the revs wouldnt drop back down to idle, although it drove perfectly. After a bit of poking around of the engine i found it to be the auto choke that was sticking. After a liberal dose of wd40, and pressing the choke slider in, and out quite a few times the issue was sorted
renetom

posted on 3/1/14 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
R1

Hi
On ours we used the original 2 bike cables, the throttle cable
to the pedal ,(modified to give full pedal travel)
The return cable to a medium strong spring.
Never had any problems.
Good luck.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 3/1/14 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
What year R1 is it? On my 06 model i had an issue for a few outings where the revs wouldnt drop back down to idle, although it drove perfectly. After a bit of poking around of the engine i found it to be the auto choke that was sticking. After a liberal dose of wd40, and pressing the choke slider in, and out quite a few times the issue was sorted

+1
Mine was exactly the same, and a very similar fix was applied.
Greg - email me a picture of the top of the engine (minus the airbox) and ill show you where the problem is.

corrado vr6

posted on 3/1/14 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for your replies ill be taking a look later today

Oh and it is indeed an 06 R1

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.