Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: roll bar query
nick-york

posted on 6/1/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
roll bar query

Hi all ! You've probably seen an earlier post by me regarding the harness mountings being in the wrong position on the roll bar rail . Well i ve wasted so much time on trying to make it right (not all my fault ) . In the end i cut the bar off at both ends in a few minutes of rage lol ! Now instead of using seamless tube with threaded inserts welded in for the harness mounts. Could i use solid tube with holes drilled and tapped for the harness mounts ? I've been to an engineers and they say it will be stronger than a tube so i shouldn't have a problem using it.I know it would add some extra weight to the car but this doesn't bother me. Could i have your expert opinions please ? Anybody else used the same method ? Cheers.
ReMan

posted on 6/1/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ohhh
Im guessing an there are clevvre peeps here that will know for fact, but i think adding a little weight woould be an understatement
Gotta be best part of 4kg to 20kg methinks and then the task of a good weld with such different masses to join?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Theshed

posted on 6/1/14 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
A 35mm bar 1M long would weigh 7.5kg or thereabouts. A tube would weigh about 2kg. You need to do some welding anyway at the ends so what extra effort the inserts? - its a no brainer. Welding 35mm bar to your existing roll bar would be very tricky to do well.
ali f27

posted on 6/1/14 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi not sure what your trying to do but take it you had a hole in the wrong place why not weld a new section of tube in and start again i am in york once a month as jane still has a house there would call and have alook if it would help
Cheers Ali

nick-york

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ali f27
Hi not sure what your trying to do but take it you had a hole in the wrong place why not weld a new section of tube in and start again i am in york once a month as jane still has a house there would call and have alook if it would help
Cheers Ali
Hi Ali ! Yes the harness mounts were in the wrong place . So i ground them off and drilled some new holes in the correct positions .Somebody i knew said they could weld new threaded inserts in for me !! And i wish they had just said they couldn't do it rather than cocky it up ! Lol they said i just needed half a day with a grinder to tidy the weld up !! I was on mission impossible ! After a while i just said sod it and cut the whole section off ! So trying to get a new section professionally made. And was wondering if a solid bar could be used.It would be stronger, quicker and cheaper to have made than having a tube section made.and i could have it made for the weekend for about £60 . A tube section would probably cost double with having to get threaded inserts made and welded in.cheers - Nick

ali f27

posted on 6/1/14 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Threaded inserts arnt that dear to buy i am sure somebody locost builder that can really weld can sort this just sorry i dont know when i am next down how soon do you need this sorted
nick-york

posted on 6/1/14 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Well im a little surprised at the low number of comments on here considering the large number of 'regulars' on here tonight.Well it looks like a bad idea to use the solid bar since nobody else seems to of used it and weight seems to be the biggest issue. So I've sourced some suitable tubing on ebay and will have the roll bar section made out of this . The locost is a bit of a hicost at the moment lol ! Oh and when its all made im going to weigh it just to see who had the most accurate guess at the weight !
nick-york

posted on 6/1/14 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ali f27
Threaded inserts arnt that dear to buy i am sure somebody locost builder that can really weld can sort this just sorry i dont know when i am next down how soon do you need this sorted
Hi ! Well i think i only paid about £12 ish for four inserts delivered so not much.Im going to put some pictures of the bodged section in my photo archive for viewing ! I m just going to get a local engineering company to fit and weld the inserts .Because they are really good and i know it ll be done perfectly .Im hoping to have it done asap but not going to be this week now. Well I've committed every Saturday to the car now regardless of anything else . So if you are in York any Saturday you are more than welcome to have a look . Cheers !

[Edited on 6/1/14 by nick-york]

ste

posted on 7/1/14 at 02:11 AM Reply With Quote
I would definitely be using cds tube and not solid bar.

I found a 19mm hole saw cut through perfect and then welded in the insert with the mig did the near perfect job

This is straight off the welder then it just had a light tickle with a flapper disc in the grinder

tul214

posted on 7/1/14 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
I would definitely be using cds tube and not solid bar.

I found a 19mm hole saw cut through perfect and then welded in the insert with the mig did the near perfect job

This is straight off the welder then it just had a light tickle with a flapper disc in the grinder

Description not my handiwork!!
Description not my handiwork!!

Looks similar

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

ste

posted on 8/1/14 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote

That right there is an example of very poor welding. I would not trust this guy to weld my seatbelt mounts!

There is no penetration, the welder is set way too low, it has not been stripped of paint before welding and to be honest looks shit.

Consider mine was done with a Clarke hobby welder, a 150 amp welder on full power with 0.8mm wire and ferromax gas.

Where about are you? If you are close to liverpool/preston I could meet you and get it off you to do or if you want to send it to me I will weld it for you free if you cover postage.

steve

[Edited on 8/1/14 by ste]

nick-york

posted on 8/1/14 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste

That right there is an example of very poor welding. I would not trust this guy to weld my seatbelt mounts!

There is no penetration, the welder is set way too low, it has not been stripped of paint before welding and to be honest looks shit.

Consider mine was done with a Clarke hobby welder, a 150 amp welder on full power with 0.8mm wire and ferromax gas.

Where about are you? If you are close to liverpool/preston I could meet you and get it off you to do or if you want to send it to me I will weld it for you free if you cover postage.

steve

[Edited on 8/1/14 by ste]
hi Steve ! Your welding looks very good ! That's how i was hoping the welding would look on my roll bar . I was not at all happy when i went to look at it after work ! I've ordered some cds tube and booked in at the local ,very good, engineers to get holes cut and threaded inserts welded in. So all sorted now . Oh im in York . Thanks for offering to help Steve .It was very kind - cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.