Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 are the auto flywheels same as manual?
Piooly

posted on 8/1/14 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 are the auto flywheels same as manual?

ok just taken delivery of my rover V8 engine to use in the seven and i am pleased as it has come with everything on it, pwr steering pump, aircon pump, manifolds, torque convertor, flywheel, so plenty of parts to sell.

Question is I want to use this as a manual. Can the flywheel off an auto be used for a manual or is it a totally different part?

thanks..

Paul Turner

posted on 8/1/14 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Auto's do not have a flywheel. The torque converter is bolted to the crank.
Piooly

posted on 8/1/14 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
so what looks like a flywheel is a flex plate?
mookaloid

posted on 8/1/14 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't actually done a rover engine myself but I would be amazed if you didn't need a proper manual flywheel.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Irony

posted on 8/1/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I had two Rover V8 engines side by side at one point. 1 Manual and 1 Automatic. The Automatic had a completely different setup to the manual. It had a big heavy donut shaped thing which as above have stated is a torque converter.

To go down the manual root you'll need all the right parts. Assuming a LT77 or R380 gearbox you'll need a 2wd manual Drive wheel and a 2wd bell housing. Both of which are becoming rare. The flywheel can be bought new from a few places. I bought mine from RPI engineering. The bell housing is a different matter as they are quite rare. I bought mine from a guy on here but your looking at £150 - £200. There is also the gear lever extension which are not that common now either!

Don't get confused with the 4wd bell housing and flywheel. It'll put your gear lever to far back.

r1_pete

posted on 8/1/14 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yes thats the flex plate with the ring gear on, the torque converter also bolts to it, you will need a flywheel from a manual version.
When I did my MGB many years ago I used Rover SD1 flywheel clutch and lt77 box. You can tell how long ago it was, I bought 2 SD1s and auto runner, and a manual non runner for £30

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 8/1/14 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Bell Housing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.