Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ground Clearance
Yanto

posted on 13/1/14 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ground Clearance

Hi, new here but been lurking in the undergrowth for a while.

I've now been wanting a 7 replica for 30 years, at last I have the finances and the space to keep one but I have a potential problem. I live down a track which at the end of it has a raised manhole cover surrounded by tarmac and set to one side (wheel line). I've just been out and measured that the least practical ground clearance I can get away with is 4" or 100mm for youngsters.

I will only use the car for road use so I don't need one running really low, but can you tell me what ground clearance most cars have longitudinally between front and rear wheels (clearance for sump will be fine).

Cheers

Ian

mcerd1

posted on 13/1/14 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hello and welcome

I wouldn't have thought 4" would cause much of a problem, especially in line with the wheels

it might be an issue with some cars if it was in line with the centre of the car (sumps tend to be the lowest point)

what kind of car have you got your eye on ?

my dax with its shortened sump (2.0 pinto) should have ~4" clear to the sump/bellhousing, the rest of the chassis should have another inch or two...
I think most kits will be similar, and will have some adjustment to play with, but you can always check each type before you buy

[Edited on 13/1/2014 by mcerd1]

-

Not Anumber

posted on 13/1/14 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Most Locosts will have height adjustable coil over shocks .raising the ride height just takes 5 mins a corner with a 'C' spanner. Reminds me i need to raise mine at some stage to cater for some rutted single track roads.

Slater

posted on 13/1/14 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
The only thing between the front and rear wheels on a 7 is the exhaust, which can be on either side depending on the engine. But you can mount it slightly higher if need be. It would normally be above the floorpan anyway.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Daverog

posted on 13/1/14 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, my MK Indy has 5" ground clearance at the side rails and 4" under the sump. I had to stiffen the springs up by adjusting them since as built I had less than 3" under the sump and I live down a rough lane!! Not a good combination initially!!
Dick Axtell

posted on 13/1/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ground Clearance

Aah Yes!! Lack of this may well have been the initiator of my engine's oil leak. GC = 2ins (or 50mm), and therefore far too little. But pls bear in mind that the most critical clearance dimension is between ground and bottom of bell-housing. Sumps can be shortened.

[Edited on 13/1/14 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Yanto

posted on 13/1/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick answers - well chuffed with results as it looks like it, whatever it will be, will just scrape over after all.

I'm looking at Tiger Supercat or Westfield, probably with a Zetec, but nothing too radically specced as Mrs Yanto wants to come out in it as well on pub runs :-(

Just a thought about raising the ride height, will that affect the camber, or is it constant ?

blakep82

posted on 13/1/14 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
My car has a steel floor, and a thick fibreglass (might even be kevlar) floor protector fitted, so that any scrapes wear at the protector rather than the floor or chassis. It was like this before I got it.

If you build some space into the rear above the fuel tank you could carry some planks of wood to help should you ever come across any problems like this

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

whitestu

posted on 13/1/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 100mm beneath the sump and never had a problem.

Stu

Thetom

posted on 13/1/14 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
This thread has put my mind at ease a little bit! I put my floor on a few weeks ago and the very expensive billet sump I bought sticks out by about 1/2". Been weighing up all sorts of options from machining it down to moving the engine up a bit. Guess ill go with a slightly raised hatch over the access hole in the floor...
swanntech

posted on 15/1/14 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of bags of cold roll tarmac might help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.