Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: welder probs
vysie

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
welder probs

my old man has gave me a welder now the problem is it a mightymig 105 turbo im guessing its no good for the build as its 105amps. the problem is the torch is missing the neck fires wire fine etc and has a gas bottle inside. so do i look for a new torch and practice with it on some off cuts or stick it on the auctions and add money towards something better

onwards

cliftyhanger

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what you want/need to weld. I have done plenty of car stuff with a 90a Clarke mig. That was rather good on panelwork. But also did a fair bit of chassis work.
105a should be ok with 3mm steel without any issues.

As to spares, plenty available on the bay. I think weldequipe is the well-liked seller.

MikeR

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
what he said. did most of my chassis on a 100 amp cebora. only got the 150 amp clarke when i fried the cebora. (running 3 data centre cooling fans against the open case to improve duty cycle - lasted a hell of a time too.)
nick205

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
If it's in good order, it should be fine for a Locost build. I recently borrowed a Sealey 110 A machine to build a go kart in 3mm wall box section and after a bit of practice it was possible to get good penetration and tidy welds. Since bought a Clarke 151 which doesn't really weld much thicker, just carries on for longer before it needs to cool down.

vysie

posted on 15/1/14 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
ill treat her to a new torch and tidy up then. ill get practicing on the go kart 1st see how it goes.
question about the gas use it or not?

onwards

owelly

posted on 15/1/14 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
You'll get a better weld with gas and gas (non-flux) wire is cheaper however, some say that if you're welding outside in breezy conditions, gasless wire is better. Personally, I just turn the gas feed up a bit.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.