Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any roofers in the house?
carpmart

posted on 20/1/14 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Any roofers in the house?

I'm building a nice new shed/garage/man cave and it needs a roof. Now I think I'm decided on a rubber roof, the 50 year one, but I've been scared silly by the price!

Now it's a big shallow pitch roof of around 45sq m, brand new sterling board, good access and I've been quoted £55 per square meter fitted. That's around £2.5k which seems like a crazy price to me? Am I right to think this expensive, or is that the 'going' rate for this?

It's seems that the base material is well under £10 per square meter, from my googling!

I'm in Bedfordshire if anyone wants this job and need it doing later this week or early next.

Thanks

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

nick205

posted on 20/1/14 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
If the material price is correct then it seems steep to me for fitting!

van cleef

posted on 20/1/14 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
55 quid per square meter for supply and fit? I fit a new deck and supply and fit firestone EPDM for around the £60 per square meter and £45ish without supplying a new deck.

The rubber is the cheapish part, you have upstanding trims, drip trims, adhesives both water based and contact, joining tapes, quick seam corners and I could keep going........is the roof going to be constructed as a warm or cold roof system? If it's a warm roof system you'll need to price in a kingspan type of insulation on top of the price of the flat roof

If you want expensive, Sarnifil flat roof system up here in Aberdeen is around £100 per m2 without a new deck supplied or insulation.

You could go on an 2 day EPDM fitting course and do it yourself.

the constant builder

posted on 20/1/14 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
I used these guys to supply the roofing sheets for my garages and shed. Replaced the asbestos cement and put this stuff on. Straight forward to put on, very quick and has stood up to the bad storms we have had over the past 3 or 4 years without any issues. Sheets are supplied to the length you want. These guy's are not near you but might be able to find more local to you and maybe a cheaper option?

Hope that is useful.

Angus
http://www.planwell.co.uk/

[Edited on 20/1/14 by the constant builder]

hkp57

posted on 21/1/14 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
The other way to look at it is you get what you pay for, a roof with a 50 year life for 14p a day seems like a cheap roof to me.

Go for a cheaper roof and replace it more often is not always the best option considering your pride an joy is parked under it.

carpmart

posted on 21/1/14 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by van cleef
55 quid per square meter for supply and fit? I fit a new deck and supply and fit firestone EPDM for around the £60 per square meter and £45ish without supplying a new deck.

The rubber is the cheapish part, you have upstanding trims, drip trims, adhesives both water based and contact, joining tapes, quick seam corners and I could keep going........is the roof going to be constructed as a warm or cold roof system? If it's a warm roof system you'll need to price in a kingspan type of insulation on top of the price of the flat roof

If you want expensive, Sarnifil flat roof system up here in Aberdeen is around £100 per m2 without a new deck supplied or insulation.

You could go on an 2 day EPDM fitting course and do it yourself.

Thanks, good information!

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

carpmart

posted on 21/1/14 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the constant builder
I used these guys to supply the roofing sheets for my garages and shed. Replaced the asbestos cement and put this stuff on. Straight forward to put on, very quick and has stood up to the bad storms we have had over the past 3 or 4 years without any issues. Sheets are supplied to the length you want. These guy's are not near you but might be able to find more local to you and maybe a cheaper option?

Hope that is useful.

Angus
http://www.planwell.co.uk/

[Edited on 20/1/14 by the constant builder]

Another option BUT I'm still going the rubber route! Thanks for the reply!

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

carpmart

posted on 21/1/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkp57
The other way to look at it is you get what you pay for, a roof with a 50 year life for 14p a day seems like a cheap roof to me.

Go for a cheaper roof and replace it more often is not always the best option considering your pride an joy is parked under it.

Its the labour to fit which I'm questioning, not the product! I'm going for the roof material, but can buy that for £8.50 per square meter.

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/1/14 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
You will be charged extra if you need it doing fast......

But, why not DIY. A year ago I decided on a fibreglass roof for my garage. I did a bit of asking about, watched some youtube vids and so on. It was all very helpful.
Grabbed a mate, and we decked and did the roof in a day. I can't see your system will be any harder? In fact the biggest problem we had was how fast we had to work with fibreglass resin. That pressure will probably be reduced in your case.

Price up the full package of what you need in terms of materials. Around here a roofer wanted £1200 to do a felt roof. He was open enough to say the materials were £600. So him and "the lad" cost £600 a day.....and that was the same for most roofers I have spoken to.

carpmart

posted on 21/1/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've ordered the Firestone rubber roof and I'm doing it myself. Materials have cost £800 all in and I think less than a day will have it done nicely. A good saving on the £2.5k the professionals wanted.

Thanks for the comments and advice!

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

Volvorsport

posted on 21/1/14 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
38/44 per sq/m for a grp roof including wisa spruce ply decking

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/1/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Not down here, about double that. £45 PSM for felt, bit less for cash.
Ouch.

vysie

posted on 22/1/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
dont forget to show some pics if you were closer id come an help you and you could help me with the build i did alot for a window company in brum at 1 point would get alot of work from them passing our number on etc.
as long as its not rushed read timing etc its a doddle.

onwards

vysie

posted on 22/1/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
double post sorry

[Edited on 22/1/14 by vysie]

onwards

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.