Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine dipping
coyoteboy

posted on 1/2/14 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Engine dipping

Anyone know anywhere in Glasgow area that will hot dip my block and head before a rebuild?

v8kid

posted on 1/2/14 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'd also like to know if you find out!

In the past I've used hot caustic soda on three alloy v8 engines with no problems apart from the hassle of constructing a plastic dipping bath. I know doomongers will say it corrodes aluminium but that is not the case in my experience - remember it is important to soak in a weak acid ( that is a chemically weak acid not a diluted acid) eg vinegar afterwards.

However it causes one heck of a mess and there is all the sludge to get rid of afterwards i would be happy to pay £50 just to avoid the hastle.

I wonder if wood hot stripping companies would be OK after all its just caustic soda?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 1/2/14 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mines a cast iron block so less worried about the dip. The wood folk would probably dislike the oil? I thought about song it myself but my main prurpose would be to flush out my oil galleries etc and clean the outer for some painting.

doobrychat

posted on 1/2/14 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
when i did my van engine.. I had compressed air and got an old spray gun and filled it up with brake cleaner and blasted it everywhere.. made a mess but bought it up a treat before i rebuild it...

just an idea for you...

v8kid

posted on 1/2/14 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yup I remember now I used bottle cleaners to check the oil galleries with but they were clear. Disturbingly the last block a range rover one still had a load of casting sand in the waterways

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 2/2/14 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
You mean sand isn't meant to be in the waterways?!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.