Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Positioning of police camera cars
NigeEss

posted on 9/2/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Positioning of police camera cars

In Inverness at the weekend and I saw a police car at a junction, looked like it was about
to turn right but was a couple of meters short of the dotted lines. It was only when I passed
it that I noticed it was an operational camera car.

If one of us had parked there we'd have been nicked for obstruction

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 9/2/14 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
One rule for one, one rule for another........

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

perksy

posted on 9/2/14 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Search the web and you'll see all sorts of tactics employed

I was down south once and there was plod with a camera in a layby between a parked car that was towing a caravan...

Also in North Wales there used to be a disguised builders van with a camera that even had a screwfix catalogue on the dashboard

[Edited on 9/2/14 by perksy]

BangedupTiger

posted on 9/2/14 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Don't break the speed limit......... Simples
Jon Ison

posted on 9/2/14 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
They have played an absolute blinder just down the road from us.

A617 as you leave the M1 traveling towards Mansfield, they have moved the 40mph limit about 1000 yds nearer the M1 junction but still on a short duel carridge way, this is a down hill stretch approaching the end of the duel and a steep uphill stretch, they hide in a bush hidden entrance to a field at least 3 times a week they sit there all day and must catch every car that's not local, I defy anyone even an ardent Sunday driver not to get caught, it's all but impossible to naturally be doing 40 or less where they grab you, this new spot is definatly nothing to do with casualty reduction and everything to do with revenue, anyone on here local who knows the spot will testify this.

Prior to moving the limit they used to sit over the hill in question opposite shops ect, fully justified to sit there but the new position just stinks of generating cash.

P ?

posted on 9/2/14 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I hate that !!

Don't break the speed limit !

When I drive I like to feel I'm safely watching where I'm going, not looking out for every speed limit sign and matching to my speedo.

Everyone's guilty of speeding weather it be intended or a matter of lapse of concentration.

I'm for a speed camera but don't agree they do improve safety having witnessed harsh breaking from cars infront just because they see one regardless of the speed limit they were adhering by.

If they were revenue generators we would all be driving cars that auto limited by the speed limit areas !!!

Andi

posted on 9/2/14 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by P ?
I hate that !!

Don't break the speed limit !

When I drive I like to feel I'm safely watching where I'm going, not looking out for every speed limit sign and matching to my speedo.

Everyone's guilty of speeding weather it be intended or a matter of lapse of concentration.

I'm for a speed camera but don't agree they do improve safety having witnessed harsh breaking from cars infront just because they see one regardless of the speed limit they were adhering by.

If they were revenue generators we would all be driving cars that auto limited by the speed limit areas !!!

I had to go on one of those speeding courses when I got flashed.
My intention was to go there and not say a word no matter what, but I did get into a row with the woman lecturer
who said that she never speeds, which i said you must do, everyone does/has. Anyway she said she never had.
Just before we watched a film with opening message something like..... "Who speeds??? Everyone does"

Andi

NigeEss

posted on 9/2/14 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
Don't break the speed limit......... Simples

I never said I was.
And you are obviously missing the point of the post.

morcus

posted on 9/2/14 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Round here they have a galaxy or simillar that has a special back window to catch people on the M4 but thats a moving one and by all accounts they'll only get you if your doing considerably more then the limit or speeding in road works.

If they're hiding you know it's just about making money, it won't slow anyone down if they don't know it's there so it's in no way a deterrent and as one of the above said they like to put them in places where the speed limit isn't obvious.

If your driving to the conditions then the speed your doing is irrellevent so in theory speeding itself shouldn't be an issue but as we all know there are far to many people who don't understand this (Like how at times speeds as low as 40 on the motorway can be too fast for the conditions) so though you shouldn't speed and most of us try not to, if you end up somewhere you don't know thats badly sign posted but with good visablity in good conditions with nothing around that just happens to be a 40 instead of 60 and you get stung for doing 50 because you had almost no way to know?

Also why do you never see them in 20 limits and rarely in 30? Everytime I have to go through the 20 section near the local school you get someone trying to do 30+ trying to go into the back of the car (And they usually completely dissapear when the limit goes up to 50 around the corner).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

BangedupTiger

posted on 9/2/14 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently you were breaking the speed limit as apparently everyone does?

I'm not missing the point at all. But if an individual isn't breaking the speed limit why is it relevant where a speed camera is placed?

I fail to see how a parked car a couple of metres from a junction is causing an offence?

[Edited on 9/2/14 by BangedupTiger]

NigeEss

posted on 10/2/14 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
I wasn't speeding, I was annoyed at the position of the car. I wasn't a couple of meters from the junction
but actually on it.

Imagine yourself pulling up at a T junction in order to turn right, reverse two meters and stop. I personally
see that as obstruction.

Jon Ison

posted on 10/2/14 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
What's your day job, photographer ? <- smiley.

Camera vans are generally located where it is safe to exceed the posted limit, otherwise it wouldn't be lucrative now would it? Now what would be the point of positioning one in a 30 where 30 was justified by the very nature of the road, wouldn't catch many would they other than the ones that deserved and needed it?

I'm sorry the one I pointed out above is without doubt an engineered cash generator and nothing to do with road saftey, nothing.

r1_pete

posted on 10/2/14 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
Apparently you were breaking the speed limit as apparently everyone does?

I'm not missing the point at all. But if an individual isn't breaking the speed limit why is it relevant where a speed camera is placed?

I fail to see how a parked car a couple of metres from a junction is causing an offence?

[Edited on 9/2/14 by BangedupTiger]

Source: Direct Gov.

Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

Rule 224 of the Highway Code

DO NOT stop or park...opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 10/2/14 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

A617 as you leave the M1 traveling towards Mansfield, they have moved the 40mph limit about 1000 yds nearer the M1 junction but still on a short duel carridge way, this is a down hill stretch approaching the end of the duel and a steep uphill stretch, they hide in a bush hidden entrance to a field at least 3 times a week they sit there all day and must catch every car that's not local, I defy anyone even an ardent Sunday driver not to get caught, it's all but impossible to naturally be doing 40 or less where they grab you, this new spot is definatly nothing to do with casualty reduction and everything to do with revenue, anyone on here local who knows the spot will testify this.

Prior to moving the limit they used to sit over the hill in question opposite shops ect, fully justified to sit there but the new position just stinks of generating cash.

I noticed that the last time I was down there. I slowed down, the BMW behind me didn't, he overtook me just before the cash machine came into view. I had to smile, am I evil

[Edited on 10-2-14 by 40inches]

Peteff

posted on 10/2/14 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

A617 as you leave the M1 traveling towards Mansfield, they have moved the 40mph limit about 1000 yds nearer the M1 junction but still on a short duel carridge way, this is a down hill stretch approaching the end of the duel and a steep uphill stretch, they hide in a bush hidden entrance to a field at least 3 times a week they sit there all day and must catch every car that's not local

They've done the same coming into Clay Cross on the A61 from Tupton, you just come over the brow of a hill onto the flat then 50 to 30 in about 40 yards. It must have made them a fortune.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andrew

posted on 10/2/14 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
signs

How many times have you driven down the road and thought what is the speed limit on here , some signs are so hard to spot and the limits seem to change up and down at random as you drive along the same road,, and yes i agree it is all about revenue ,, we even had a black unmarked police bike and the rider in black leathers the only visible police sign was on the back of his helmet that was around here that would get up behind other bikers and goad them into speeding , but that now seems to have gone too many complaints i think ,
whitestu

posted on 10/2/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of the councils round here use smart cars with cameras on them to get people on box junctions. The ones in Haringey park on box junctions in their camera car.

Its all about making money and nothing to do with road safety.

To anyone saying 'if you aren't speeding why worry?' I assume you'd be happy to be micro chipped so the police can track you at all times.

after all if you aren't breaking the law why worry!

coyoteboy

posted on 10/2/14 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Also rule 243 iirc, you should not park within 10m of or opposite any junction.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.