Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ideas for filling bonnet hole.
TrophyJem

posted on 4/3/14 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ideas for filling bonnet hole.

My duratec conversion is throwing up a few challenges.
One of which is that the throttle bodies do not line up with the hole in the bonnet. They sit too high.
So I need to cut a much taller hole, but I need ideas of how to fill the bottom half without it looking crap.
Any ideas?

[Edited on 4/3/14 by TrophyJem]

ianm67

posted on 4/3/14 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Well, as a new bonnet appears to be £300+ I would do one of two things:

Enlarge the hole, keeping it as symmetrical as possible and bond a piece of perforated steel or alloy to the inside of the bonnet and then put trim on the edge.

OR

Don't enlarge the hole and get somebody to fabricate you a forward facing, side mounted bonnet scoop. It would look okay if done well, and would provide plenty of cold air to the intake side of the engine....

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

TrophyJem

posted on 4/3/14 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
The hole has to be enlarged as the trumpets will stick through the side of the bonnet when they are all in place.
On the photo only one trumpet is fitted as it was the only one that fitted under the bonnet.
Please keep the ideas coming

theprisioner

posted on 4/3/14 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I assume a giant gel coat repair is out of the question?

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Davey D

posted on 4/3/14 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Could you sell your current bonnet, and buy a replacement with no hole, so that you can cut one in the desired location?
jacko

posted on 4/3/14 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Tape thin aluminium on the out side, fiber glass / gelcoat from the inside
Then cut a new hole and repaint the bonnet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
benchmark51

posted on 4/3/14 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Either replace the bonnet or repair the hole with glass fibre,
and cut a new hole

I would do the latter, that way I would end up with the exact hole
that I want. Not a lash up that would bug me everytime I look at it.

ross05

posted on 4/3/14 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I just made one of these : http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o777/ross1960/bonnetblip002_zpsce02aea5.jpg
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o777/ross1960/bonnetblip001_zps0665cf84.jpg

Made out of F/Glass using the blue peter method....find a suitable plastic container as the mould.Painted the finished scoop black as the accessories on the car are black, which saved trying to match the paint colour..You can make it any shape with holes and slots added for cold air intake..

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 4/3/14 by ross05]

TrophyJem

posted on 4/3/14 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ross05
I just made one of these : http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o777/ross1960/bonnetblip002_zpsce02aea5.jpg
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o777/ross1960/bonnetblip001_zps0665cf84.jpg

Made out of F/Glass using the blue peter method....find a suitable plastic container as the mould.Painted the finished scoop black as the accessories on the car are black, which saved trying to match the paint colour..You can make it any shape with holes and slots added for cold air intake..

Hope this helps.

That's a pretty neat solution. Not sure it will work for me though as my hole will be massive.

I'm wondering if a black stripe down the side may be the answer.

A new bonnet would be ideal, but its a cost thing. Its always a cost thing!

ross05

posted on 4/3/14 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
cost me about 5 squids...If you made it bigger and you could flute it around some filters.. just an idea !!!
19sac65

posted on 4/3/14 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
There was a complete yellow body set on ebay the other day , dunno if its still on there - he might split
Have you asked on the wscc forum,i recognise the name,someone usually comes up
The car looks mint,youve just invested a few quid in mods , i think you'd regret not doing it right
You will probably recoup most of it with the sale of your current one
Has the factory got any seconds,they were clearing loads of stuff out before xmas
Steve ( blue ass)

TrophyJem

posted on 4/3/14 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
I asked for ideas on the wscc as well. It's very useful to get opinions from both camps.
I haven't looked for a bonnet yet. That's a last resort. I'm worried about the colour match as my Westy is 15 years old.

I think I'm fast reaching the over investment stage. I'm mulling over options to solve my several problems before I decide if to continue with the duratec install or revert to my trusted pinto.

Cheers

loggyboy

posted on 4/3/14 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need to cut a hole bigger? if the the filters cant fit on under bonnet, can the trumpet sizes be reduced?
I would just by some nice black or silver mesh (depending on the rest of the cars trim) and fill that current gap in. Unless your system is designed for ramair principles theres no need to have them to outside air. Simple ducting can feed cold air to them. Often an exposed filter can have air sucked away from it.

[Edited on 4-3-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

ross05

posted on 4/3/14 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful filling the hole in completely.Or having the filters in the air flow..

I fitted 45 dcoe's with 39mm trumpets with no holes in the bonnet, this caused over fueling on number one cylinder due to not enough air getting down the trumpet. As the end of the trumpet only had about 30mm clearance to the inside of the bonnet.

I only had the problem when cruising on a light throttle at around 60mph..or above

The problem took ages to find and as soon as I put the little bonnet blip, over the end of the trumpets with a small air slot in the front for fresh air all sorted..

so be careful with holes and slots.

stevebubs

posted on 4/3/14 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Paint the bonnet.

Either black stripes either side, or go the whole hog and either carbon wrap it or paint it all black!

TrophyJem

posted on 7/3/14 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still pondering my options and I'm wondering if reducing the trumpet length so that all of the new air filter would be under the bonnet might be an option. Then I could have a grill over the current hole to allow cool air in.

The current trumpets are 100mm long and if I could half that length it would all fit under. The question is what effect would halving the trumpet lengths have?

ianm67

posted on 7/3/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrophyJem
I'm still pondering my options and I'm wondering if reducing the trumpet length so that all of the new air filter would be under the bonnet might be an option. Then I could have a grill over the current hole to allow cool air in.

The current trumpets are 100mm long and if I could half that length it would all fit under. The question is what effect would halving the trumpet lengths have?

If my memory serves correctly, shorter trumpets will move peak torque a little further up the rev range. I doubt there will be any noticeable difference in drivability on the road......

Take a look at the link below its an article by Dave Walker of Emerald....

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/articles/emr-adj-length-intake/

[Edited on 7/3/14 by ianm67]

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.