Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo ECU
Ajohnston_10

posted on 5/3/14 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
Turbo ECU

Hi folks,

Im just doing a bit of research into turboing my 1.6 mx5. Im pritty clear on all the components i need to have a well set up, safe turbo conversion i.e fuel regulator, injectors, boost controller, fuel pump etc.

The only bit im unclear on is the choice of ECU. Ive read about people using piggy back ECU's to overide the standard mx5 one, unsing plug and play ECU's, or a whole new turbo ECU, then theres the question, what brand of ECU to use?

Could anyone with more knowlege than me clear up these muddy waters on what ECU is recomended.

Im hoping to get about 200+bhp which should be achivable with about 10-14pci of boost with a T3 50-Trim turbo. Im looking at doing the conversion as cheap as poosible, within reason (not going to just buy any cheap crap).

Any help would be appriciated,

Cheers!!

ashg

posted on 5/3/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
a t3 is going to be way too big for a 1.6 engine, it will take an age to spin up. even a t28 is a bit on the big side for a 1.6.

im running a t28 (2560r) on my 2.0 saab engine and that will make 300bhp every day of the week.

there seems to be quite a lot of people on the mazda forums using megasquirt with good results. im using a megasquirt 3 with ms3x on the saab engine with good results

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ashg

posted on 5/3/14 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.miataturbo.net/dynos-timesheets-21/comparison-chinacharger-2871-vs-garrett-2554r-vs-garrett-2560r-55207/

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

BaileyPerformance

posted on 5/3/14 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at mx5nuz forum, most folks go for a megasquirt Ecu, if your search us (bailey performance) on that forum you'll see we've been busy!

T3 will be ok on a 1600, not ideal but ok. The Ford RS turbo uses a T3 with at 0.48 exhaust housing which gives full boost at 3000rpm.

If setup correctly you will see 220bhp.

www.baileyperformance.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BaileyPerformance

posted on 5/3/14 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
........the factory regulator and pump is fine for well over 220bhp, most folks go for RX8 injectors as these fit the fuel rail. (I think there about 440cc)
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 5/3/14 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm doing a conversion this weekend on a 1.6 using a Saab t25 turbo with a set of injectors from a 6cyl jag xjr which are a good fit into the Mazda inlet manifold . The car car is already on a plug and play mega squirt ecu so no messing needed just run a vac line to the built in map sensor . The plug and play ecu saves a lot of messing and the tuner studio software is pretty straight forward and has been running throttle bodies on the car for the last few months .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

MikeRJ

posted on 5/3/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
The Ford RS turbo uses a T3 with at 0.48 exhaust housing which gives full boost at 3000rpm.

So did the 1275cc Metro Turbo, and they both shared similar characteristics; high boost threshold and plenty of lag. There are many better choices than a T3 for a 1.6L engine.

Ajohnston_10

posted on 5/3/14 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply's,

I read someone used the t3 turbo and response was pretty good, got 252bhp on the dyno.

I'm getting the general idea that megasquirt is the most popular choice of ECU? How much is one? Ebay has none cheaper than 400quid.

I was going to use supra 440cc injectors, just due to the price difference, and i believe they are a direct swap.

Froggy- let me know how you got on would be interesting to see how it goes.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 5/3/14 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ajohnston_10
Cheers for the reply's,

I read someone used the t3 turbo and response was pretty good, got 252bhp on the dyno.

I'm getting the general idea that megasquirt is the most popular choice of ECU? How much is one? Ebay has none cheaper than 400quid.

I was going to use supra 440cc injectors, just due to the price difference, and i believe they are a direct swap.

Best use a Megasquirt 2, but MS1 will work OK.

There are plug and play MS versions available, these cost more but save hassle wiring.....

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/MX5.html#mk1

The physical limit of your engine is 220BHP, much more and you risk piston failure, we did an 1800 MX5 with forged pistons that made over 330BHP on a near stock head and cams, so you can get good power from these engines.

The turbo you have will be fine, sometimes good throttle response is more to do with mapping than just what turbo you choose - but it is true to say better turbos are available. TD04 works very well on an MX5.

If you plan on mapping your car yourself, be very careful, mapping a turbo engine (especially on cast pistons) can quickly lead to engine damage if you get it wrong. I can give you a good starting map if you like.

ashg

posted on 5/3/14 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
if you don't want to spend £600 on a new 2560. i have got an uprated 360deg thrust bearing'd saab t25 kicking around that come off my engine before i put the GT2560r on it. should be good enough for 200-220bhp

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

rotax78

posted on 5/3/14 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running a supercharged mx5, speak to reverant on mx5nutz.com he builds megasquirts complete with plug n play loom to suit your car with base map included and second to none aftersales. I'm running one of his enhanced ms2 ecus with Launch control, switchable maps, flatshift etc. In the past I have built my own but now I wouldn't even consider it, Google reverant (dimitris) I've never seen anything but praise for him.
froggy

posted on 5/3/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ajohnston_10
Cheers for the reply's,

We went for a t25 Saab blower as they are cheap and many have never seen more than 6psi on low power saabs . Tdo4 would have been a good choice but not cheap and many have had a hard life . The injectors are just what was lying round and the exhaust manifold is a home made job with a 12mm flange and sch40 1 1/4 od weld el fittings . 2" exhaust system and a front mount air to air cooler .
The ac pump and system has come off to make the pipe work to the intercooler a bit easier and the turbo will top mount towards the front of the engine .

As said the plug and play ms is the way to go as the are loads of turbo maps for various set ups , I think we need to add a Tps sensor as the Mazda doesn't use one .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

beaver34

posted on 5/3/14 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
it might do peak power but be a pig to drive with a small rev range

if you rev it harder then you get more usable rev range

i use a gt28 on a 1600 full boost around 4,500 but i rev it to 8,200

Ajohnston_10

posted on 5/3/14 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Well going by most the comments I think a little more research into turbo is needed.

Thanks Baileyperfromance I think megasquirt plug and play will be the one to use. Well... I know a few people who have much more experience and knowledge at mapping, so ill probably get help from them. U2U sent ref starting map!

Again cheers for all the advise and comments, all have been taken on board and will hep when i comes to building.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.