Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blow through, turbo-supercharging.
coyoteboy

posted on 12/3/14 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
It is isn't it, I'm still not decided as to whether it's a good thing or not!

ed1801

posted on 12/3/14 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Did you consider two turbos in series? You could make one small enough for instant spool and full boost at low revs with the larger taking over higher up the revs. It might be less technically challenging.
coyoteboy

posted on 12/3/14 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I did, but it's more technically challenging IMO for less interest for me. I don't want to start hacking the exhaust system which works just fine and all the twin sequential turbos I've seen have exhaust bypasses in there too (because the small one becomes restrictive to both intake and exhaust) which seems even more complex! Leaks and problems with intake pipework are somewhat easier to deal with than welding up and finding leaks and problems with hot gasses.

[Edited on 12/3/14 by coyoteboy]

froggy

posted on 12/3/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an m45 to me which is too small for your engine . If the rotors are around 4" long its an m45 . I started with an m45 but changed to an m62 after wrecking the 45 . Does the Merc unit have a large pwm bypass solenoid around 40mm on it ?

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

coyoteboy

posted on 12/3/14 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
It is an m45 but it is well within its flow specs and Max rpm in "base" configuration (Its used to push higher boost on a 1.8 normally, but also used on several larger engines), it's pushing towards the less efficient end but still within design limits to achieve half a bar gauge min according to their compressor maps and their technical help providers, once I introduce boosted inlet pressure I'm off the known radar but providing I keep temps low there's no reason for problems. I will see how the 45 goes initially because I will almost definitely struggle to fit the extra length of a 62 (it was my first target but not convinced its necessary). Don't forget I'm not needing the s/c to push full pressure alone, I'm compounding.

As I say, looks to have a bypass in the region of 50-60mm, maybe a bit less depending on the housing size, I've not fully stripped it yet.

You've sure broken a lot of stuff by the sound of it!

froggy

posted on 12/3/14 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Talk is cheap , il wait for some pictures .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

coyoteboy

posted on 12/3/14 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
No problemmo, will be a little wait while I finish my mill conversion to cnc so I can knock up some suitably stiff bracketry and get the rest of the engine rebuilt but I will post back to this thread when it's a bit further along! And again after I need another rebuild

coyoteboy

posted on 17/3/14 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Slight update - the C180 electronic bypass is 56mm diam at it's narrowest point, seems to be "normally open" with one hell of a spring.

coyoteboy

posted on 18/3/14 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
FYI
Eaton Supercharger Bypass
Eaton Supercharger Bypass

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.