Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have Spark at Distributor, not at plugs
GeoffH

posted on 9/3/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Have Spark at Distributor, not at plugs

On my X/Flow 1.6 I have an Aldon/Lucas side entry distributor.

I recently fixed a battery problem - I think and now the car won't start, since the winter. Have checked the usual things, have fuel at the carb, wet plugs if I turn it over a lot, so have fuel in cylinders.

I have a good spark at the end of the distributor HT lead to earth, but can't see a spark at the plugs. Have checked and cleaned the distributor cap contacts and rotor arm, but not sure what a worn distributor cap looks like.

I don't want to splash out on a new cap to then find that wasn't the problem.

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 9/3/14 by GeoffH]

rusty nuts

posted on 9/3/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
A new rotor ran costs pennies , if you look inside the cap can you see what looks like pencil lines probably running from the center carbon brush out wards then the cap has had it
MikeRJ

posted on 9/3/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Check the distributor cap to make sure you still have the little carbon brush that contacts the rotor arm, and that the spring behind it is pushing it out.
adithorp

posted on 9/3/14 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I assume you've tried the spark by putting an earthed plug in the end of a plug lead.

Cap problems usually revolve around cracks in the cap so have a look around inside for any but your fault doesn't sound like that. They usually result in misfires but not total loss of spark.

Could be the rotor. Does it have a resistor in it? It's usually embedded in resin between the centre and end contacts and these are known to fail.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

GeoffH

posted on 10/3/14 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
The rotor doesn't have a resistor but when I first looked at it, it was dirty at the contacts edge so I cleaned it up. Also cleaned the bit that contacts the carbon brush which works fine.
Neb

posted on 10/3/14 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
We have had loads of issues with the rotor arms on Xflows. Interpart ones especially. They just don't last.

Recently bought the red ones from the MGB owners club and not had a problem since.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.