Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windows
David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/14 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Windows

Just a random and very trivial thought - over the past few days the weather has been decent, and the rooms on the sunny side of the house have been quite warm, so we automatically open the windows on that side to let some air in and freshen things up. Over each day most windows in the house will have been opened at some time or another.

Looking out of the windows, I can see that just about every one of my neighbours has every window in their house shut tight all day, even when they're in the house.

Are me and my wife the only ones who like to let the air in on all possible occasions? We don't like a stuffy house, and tend to keep the temperature a bit on the cool side - are we unusual in this regard? Or is everyone getting a bit too 'heat happy'?

<end random trivial question!>

Scuzzle

posted on 15/3/14 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
There's only one house on my street has his windows open all day even in the freezing cold, and that's to help get rid of the smell of a certain smoked substance.
David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
None of that in our house!

mark chandler

posted on 15/3/14 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
We have had the windows open to the garden and door opened for most of the week, looking forward to the summer I like the outside getting in
morcus

posted on 16/3/14 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
I find opening the window can actually make it hotter inside if it's hot outside, though so far this year its not really been that hot here. All depends on the wind and if the air is moving and things like the layout of your house.

The other issue of having the windows open is noise and insects coming in. You really find out how good your double glazing is when you have the window open for a day.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

RoadkillUK

posted on 16/3/14 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
I can't have my windows open on a nice sunny day, as my neighbours have kids ... and their neighbours too ... and their neighbours too, they like to be LOUD.

(Miserable old Git)

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 16/3/14 at 04:55 AM Reply With Quote
I like keeping windows shut because...

I've never felt the house was stuffy so never feel the need to open windows unless its roasting hot.
Its rarely warm enough open the windows to cool the house.
I often forget stuff, so try not to open windows as I'm bound to forget to close them.
Its a waste of heating energy.
Our chimney probably draws enough to keep decent ventillation.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/14 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
<snip>
Its a waste of heating energy.
Our chimney probably draws enough to keep decent ventillation.

Should have mentioned - we never have the windows open while the heating is on...
...but when the sun's shining through the windows it's really quite warm in the house.

JoelP

posted on 16/3/14 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
In our house, we have the bathroom window locked ajar all the time, and also the diagonally opposite bedroom window unless it's really freezing. During the day I leave all upstairs windows ajar. We have no vents anywhere and find we get mildew without this additional ventilation. Also, wife and kids have exzema which is made worse by warm rooms, so we never have the heating on.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

twybrow

posted on 16/3/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I try to open all windows at all times of the day/year to air the house. My Mrs moans about it being cold, or drafty, and goes around shutting them again - it is a constant battle ion our house! Today, with the sun out, I am winning!
David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/14 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
My missus is usually the one who opens them, and me that remembers to close them when the sun goes off that window and the room's starting to cool down a bit too much!

Ivan

posted on 16/3/14 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Our windows are open all year round - but then our climate is milder than yours with our winters being more like your summers
David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean - last year our daughter sent us emails from Sydney, complaining about the lousy winter weather there. It got down to as low as 19C...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.