Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel pump relay?
simon88

posted on 30/3/14 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
fuel pump relay?

Hi guys, I'm converting my car back to EFI on standard ECU (mondeo MK2 2.0l blacktop) Can I use the pump thats already installed which was from the megajolt system running carbs? or do I need the standard car pump? at the moment it is wired straight to a 12V switched so operates separately to the ECU and just gets to a set pressure and keeps it there.
Also the distributor is from the megajolt so will that work just the same as the standard car one?

big_wasa

posted on 30/3/14 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Your carb pump will be low pressure so no you can't use it direct but you could use it ass lift pump to a swirl pot.

You can get a cheap external bosch style fuel pump or even cut a hole in your tank and plonk the pump in the tank.

Any high pressure pump will be fine. The fuel regulator on the end of the fuel rail will sort out the rest.

The ecu switches the pump via a rellay. If you try and switch it direct you will blow the transistors in the ecu. The ecu both switches the pump and monitors it. Ie two wires from the ecu to the fuel pump relay.

Distributor ? Do you mean the edis4 ? Of so then no its internal to all manual zetec ecu's.

simon88

posted on 30/3/14 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ok cheers just looked on ebay for a high pressure one and there fairly cheep £40, How does the relay work? I can't find one on ebay.
I thought all distributors (EDIT sorry meant coil pack) would have been the same as all it is is 3 wires and creating a pulse to the spark plugs.

Can't wait to get it up and running for the summer

[Edited on 30/3/14 by simon88]

big_wasa

posted on 30/3/14 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh just use the black top coil pack, silver tops are different but not unusable.

Fuel pump relay, any 40A 4 pin normally open relay. I use the yellow ones found under the bonnet of most rovers. I added links on wiring info to your first post a few months back.

simon88

posted on 31/3/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I just wasn't sure with the relay but I've found a 4pin 40 amp audi one, pin numbers are the same too, It's all making sense now lol. You've been a massive help! I'd have givin up ages ago without the help, I'm an aircraft engineer but this whole system is alien to me hopefully I can return the favour and help out on any projects.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.