Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Blasting
Padstar

posted on 30/3/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Blasting

I plan to prep and paint my chassis over the easter weekend. As i have been fabricating the chassis over the last year it has started to oxidise slightly. Nothing major but i fine covering. I had planned to set the chassis up in the garden/carpark for the 4 days, shot blast prep and paint using POR10.

The painting bit i have been able to research but i need some advise on the cleaning. I plan to use the air compressor and blast it out in the open.

What is the best media to use for this job and can you advise on roughly how much blast media i will be likley to need. As i am doing it out in the open i dont see that i will be in a position to reuse much of it (so assume that none will be reused).

Any ideas much appreciated - Also i was planning to use a standard blast unit from Machine Mart - Any +/- comments on their units.

mark chandler

posted on 30/3/14 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased a 3hp compressor and big red tank blasting cylinder thing that was sold as a matched pair, complete waste of money the compressors okay but will never keep up when blasting you need a big commercial machine.

Better off getting some cup wire brushes that go into a 4.5" angle grinder and working over with this.

Media is not cheap, you would want to blast inside something like a tent then you can brush up and reuse, do not use sand as it gets in your lungs and does bad things.

Regards Mark

Slimy38

posted on 30/3/14 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

Better off getting some cup wire brushes that go into a 4.5" angle grinder and working over with this.

I did this to clean up my chassis before doing the finishing welds, it took a few seconds to clean up each patch. The only challenge was some of the tight corners, but some of these in a drill finished the job;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Decarb+Wire+Brush+Set/p53351

Padstar

posted on 31/3/14 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
So are you saying these sort of things ( ebay item 331126813018 ). Are the way forward. Stupid question but how do they connect to the grinder?
mark chandler

posted on 31/3/14 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Those knotty ones are very hard, these are much better for moving surface rust 3pk Wire cup brush/wheel for angle grinder TE331

They just screw on the threads.

Benzine

posted on 31/3/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Can you take it to be blasted? I've messed around with home blasting enough to realise it's not worth it (unless you spend big money) Just blasting something like a diff takes an age with one of those ebay pots, I linked two compressors together too. A blasted surface is so much better than a wire brushed one, paint sticks to it like wotsit sticks to a thingy
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 31/3/14 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Having it done professionally and then primered or powder coated has to be the best option and more economic on your pocket and free time too.

Ditto to Benzine's comment on wire brushed surfaces being painted, The brushing seems to polish the surface rather than key it for the paint. That said, I've had better results using the abrasive sponge type discs rather than wire brushes. Like this...

Non woven disc

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.