posted on 30/3/14 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Viento forsale on ebay

Spotted on ebay looks good value

Luego Viento kit car

Pojo

posted on 2/4/14 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
luego Viento on E Bay

Greatings to all

Sure was great value, just bought it. Now all I need is a build manual, any help appreciated.

the next important descision is what engine to use, was planning to build a Westfield/MNR/GBS Zero using all MX5 gear, even have stripped one in the garage but couldnt resist this bargain, feel that this car deserves something more substantial in it, unless i go for the 250 HP turbo route, plenty of room in the engine bay. Suggestions for best bang for the buck?

kj

posted on 2/4/14 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Did not notice it was an old post and the link is for a brake pad, long way to go from that to IVA

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

geoff shep

posted on 2/4/14 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
It's not that old - only 3 days - and the link has its own link to the original ad.

kj

posted on 2/4/14 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Strange its working now?

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

Irony

posted on 2/4/14 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the Viento Club! Someone on here will send you the manual. It is however a guide only and I read it once and probably didn't bother again. The Viento generally has the Rover V8 installed but it can have lots of engines. I think one of the best options is the BMW straight 6 route. Then at a later date a upgrade to a M3 engine!!

I chose the Rover V8 route mainly because I didn't want to deviate to far from the norm and I love the noise. Well as normal as a car that numbers less than 100.

Looks like quite a old chassis like mine. The newer versions don't have the radiator and nosecone tabs and the roll cage is different. In my opinion the older chassis are a little better made but the powder coating can be rubbish! If the powder coating is rubbish it might be worth stripping it back the chassis and getting it recoated.

Also there is the crush tube issue - done to death on this forum so just do a search.

Where abouts in the country are you?

[Edited on 2/4/14 by Irony]

Pojo

posted on 2/4/14 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for the welcome Irony

Based near Huntingdon, Cambs.

When i looked at it i was expecting poor powder coating but all appears OK at moment. Will have a better idea after picking it up. Present owner's father thinks kit is about 5 years old, but after speaking to Ben Lord at Luego, he does not remember the kit since he took over the company, so might be older than that. I realize that there might be some mods to comply with IVA but will cross that bridge when i come to it and will investigate the crush tube issue.

Any fellow Viento owners arond this region? would be great to have a look at a complete car or one that is further along the build process. Presume there will some owners at Stoneleigh next month so will have a butchers then.

Rover could be the way forward, have an SD1 5 speed box in garage from a previous project (self build chassis to Formula27 plans) and thats going back over 10 yesra ago but do love the BMW straight 6's. no rush to decide at moment.

Irony

posted on 2/4/14 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
There will be little specific to the Viento that needs changing for the IVA. Except the blasted side repeaters! But by the time you get there myself and Steve will have been through the IVA and you can just follow suit.

A lot of people on here slam the Rover V8 for being old, heavy and crap. But in reality thats just not true. They don't manufacture crap engines is the sort of quantities that the RV8s been made and the Power to weight ratio is actually not that bad

Pojo

posted on 2/4/14 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a great plan

Is the V8 a 3.9? what spec will it be running?

Simon

posted on 2/4/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Try something a bit different - the R V8 3.9 has around 200 bhp. You can get that from a modern diesel ........

and 45 mpg

ATB

Simon

Irony

posted on 2/4/14 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mines a 3.9 RV8 that's been done over by v8 developments. Its got the 4 barrel eldelbrock carb with megajolt ignition. Standard cam. The pistons are pocketed so I can upgrade later if required. Should be about 200bhp.

The above poster says you should do something different but that's okay if your a experience engineer or have lots of time to learn and do research. I didn't really know a piston from a grease nipple when I started so I chose a simple engine that has been put in the Viento before. Plenty of people to ask advice from etc

A modern diesel? So me a diesel that sounds like a rv8............

SteveWallace

posted on 2/4/14 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the Viento club. Mine is going for IVA this Friday and has a straight six 2.8 BMW lump in it. It wasn't without its challenges getting it to fit but if you look in my photo archive you should see what I've been up to. If you do decide to go that route, I have wiring diagrams for the engine loom and have some good contacts for reprogramming the stock ECU. the 2.8 is 193 BHP as standard but with some fairly simple mods to get it well above.

With a lot of luck at IVA (i.e. a first time pass), a following wind from the DVLA when it comes to getting it registered and a dry weekend, I'll be at Stoneleigh this year.

It will be good to see another Viento owner around as we seem to have been a bit thin on the ground at the shows in the last couple of years (mostly due to the weather I suspect).

Pojo

posted on 3/4/14 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all

Not afraid of something different but i have yet to hear a diesel engine that excites me. A good straight 6, V6 or V8 is music. Worse case, turbo 4 cylinder with an audible waste gate. Just a 53 year old kid at heart.

Good luck Steve with the IVA, let us know how it goes, hope to see you and the car at Stoneligh, if not, should i go the BMW route, would be great to chat further, can always come over to you.

wilkingj

posted on 9/4/14 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I am still regretting selling my V8Viento.
I put the RV8 in mine, and with some headwork, a decent cam, and a webber 500 4 barrel carb, it was quite lively at approx 200bhp, with 0-60 at 5 secs dead on.

With hindsight, I would have gone BMW straight 6, as these sound 95% as good as a V8, and are 200 BHP almost out of the box.
To get a RV8 to 200BHP requires some work, and above 200BHP requires a lot of money. I recon the BMW will give you as much and potentially more power for your money.
There are lots of tuning parts for both engines.

Most LT77's nowadays are well worn, due to age and use. They are also not that good with the extra torque of a tuned RV8.
Also the LT77 gearboxes are poor and expensive to refurbish. (Been there with my Land Rover), although didnt have any problems in my Viento.

Think long and hard about a BMW6, as opposed to a RV8.
Other option would be the 6 pot Nissan Skyline engine, good , powerful, but probably not cheap.

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 9/4/14 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'll probably change engines at some point, not for increased power but I have got the feeling I am going to be more a tinkerer than a driver. I'll either upgrade to a TVR engine or go the BMW route.

Will a Skyline engine fit regarding gearbox and gear stick location?

daveb666

posted on 9/4/14 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
This chap has done/is doing a skyline engine into a Haynes but there hasn't been any updates for a while:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EternalRB

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

Pojo

posted on 10/4/14 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Been looking at engine options.

How about a Jaguar 3.0 Duratec V6 and gearbox out of an S Class? Light weight, narrow V6& >200bhp in std trim. Someone has fitted it into a Robin hood without chassis or body mods so should be an easy fit in the Viento, he even managed to run std headers. EBAY bring up multiple hits at less than £400 for a tested engine. Ony issue i can see is that the final gearing of the S type manual gearbox is 1:1, with my Sierra 4x4 LSd gearbox having a 3.62 final drive ratio, that according to my calculations means that in 5th 1000rpm = 18.88MPH so at 70, i will be cruising at 3,700RPM. Could be a bit high for any sensible fuel consumption.

Any thoughts

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/4/14 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
If it helps at all, I'm in Rushden, Northants. Although mine isn't on the road at the mo, it's still up on axle stands while I change out my engine mounts (turns out 2mm was not thick enough for a pinto).

And welcome to the Luego Owners Club.

JGG

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.