Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thermoforming acrylic sheet.
Hugh Jarce

posted on 7/11/04 at 02:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thermoforming acrylic sheet.

Graber et al, this may be of interest:
LINK

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

sgraber

posted on 7/11/04 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
niiiiiiiiice!

good info - thank you sir...

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/11/04 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Top marks for that link That is very useful! Seen it done by a guy once and its works well. Made fan belt covers for my baja bug that were see thru.

dern

posted on 7/11/04 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Excuse my ignorance but is this the sort of thing one can do at home with a domestic oven, somekind of wooden former and a vacuum cleaner?

We made simple stuff at school (a long long time ago now) with thermoplastics and an oven , hence the question.

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 7/11/04 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dern
Excuse my ignorance but is this the sort of thing one can do at home with a domestic oven, somekind of wooden former and a vacuum cleaner?

We made simple stuff at school (a long long time ago now) with thermoplastics and an oven , hence the question.

Mark

Simply put - yes, yes indeed.

But I would probably not use the wife's oven or any oven indoors for that matter. The acrylic that I have heated up lets off some pretty nasty smelly's... Don't know if it's poisonous, but why take the chance.

Around here one can buy an old working oven at a garage sale for next to nothing.

Steve Graber

Hugh Jarce

posted on 7/11/04 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
For a heat source, you could also use a chipboard cabinet and a bank of those infra-red heat lamps as used in bathrooms, chip shops and poultry houses. They would give better flexibility to jobs that are larger than domestic ovens.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

CooperLight

posted on 8/11/04 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
A looong time ago I did this in my parents oven.
Forgot to remove the plastic due to watching TV, melted plastic does not smell good in an oven, and it's virtually impossible to remove.

Lesson learned: get a dedicated oven !

tadltd

posted on 27/11/04 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Another link if you fancy forming Lexan...

Click here!

VERY useful, descibes forming techniques, painting, fabrication, cutting, drilling, cleaning, etc, etc.!

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

sgraber

posted on 27/11/04 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadltd
Another link if you fancy forming Lexan...

Click here!

VERY useful, descibes forming techniques, painting, fabrication, cutting, drilling, cleaning, etc, etc.!

That's good, very good. I suspect that the mar-guard version of lexan would be very scratch resistant? Any other polycarb/lexan products that would be good for headlamp covers? From a scratch resistance perspective?

Graber

Steve Graber

tadltd

posted on 27/11/04 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Margard is the stuff they use for helmet visors and, I suspect, headlamp covers on OEM cars (and will be used on the LMP).

Only problem is - in case you haven't read thro' all the info yet - draping it's easy but getting the optical clarity isn't. You need a mirror surface tool for the optical clarity, i.e. expensive if you're not going to produce more than one set!

However, the prototype covers on the LMP seemed acceptable enough from toolboard moulds (rough surface).

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

Rorty

posted on 3/2/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Graber et al, this book on vaccum forming may be of interest.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

sgraber

posted on 4/2/05 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Wow. i think I may have to get that.

Thanks RORT-man.

Graber

Steve Graber

sgraber

posted on 4/2/05 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
I bid on that book ^, so no-one else please!

And what about this book for steel tubular structure theory and design?

Way over my head...

Steve Graber

nick baker

posted on 4/2/05 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a purpose built vacuum former to create poly-prop moulds.... from which you can make fibreglass/carbonFire parts.

Very useful....

For really SMALL things, you can make a wooden plug and jam it into a plastic (PET) coke-bottle (or similar). wedge it in so it's very tight, and then attack it with a heat-gun or Oven.

The plastic bottle shrinks to fit the plug.. and again, you can use it as a glass-fibre mould.

maybe useful for someone

The Shootist

posted on 4/2/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bubbles with pressure

Bubbles shapes like the canopies for homebuilt aircraft are made by plumbing a piece of plywood for air pressure, then cut another piece into an out line of the hole the part will cover. Screw the 2 pieces together with lexan in between, and heat the entire assembly. Once up to temp, inflate the plastic dome to the desired profile and allow to cool.

Presto! a custom moulded canopy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.