Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Positioning
Ferrino

posted on 7/11/04 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Positioning

Trial-fitted the R1 to my Caterham yesterday and I was wondering if someone could clarify the optimum orientation of the engine to suit the carbs - is it the join between the crankcase and the sump which must lay horizontal, or the bottom of the sump? I understand you need to orient it like it is in the bike.

I am guessing it's the former as I am pretty sure the join and the bottom of the sump are not perfectly parallel.

Edit: not so sure now - looked at one other R1 BEC and it looks like the bottom of the sump is horiztonal.

Piccy:

[Edited on 7/11/04 by Ferrino]

phelpsa

posted on 7/11/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
The sump must be flat, otherwise you will have oil starvation before you start.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
heyzee

posted on 7/11/04 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
engine position

when you say flat.does that mean when yourlooking at the engine from the view above in the picture the engine will actually lean to the right slightly
phelpsa

posted on 7/11/04 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yes.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mave

posted on 7/11/04 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Please keep those pictures coming; next to my Indy build, I'm considering building a 1/12 Caterham from Tamiya, and convert it to R1. (for those long, cold winter nights).
Ferrino

posted on 7/11/04 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
So you are saying that the engine should be rotated clockwise slightly, to get a similar orientation as in the following piccy? I understood the orientation was more critical to the carb float alignment rather than the sump

phelpsa

posted on 7/11/04 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
In the bike the sump was flal, therefore if the sump is flat in the car, the carns will be at the right angle (same as in the bike).

Adam

Ferrino

posted on 8/11/04 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - I will get the bottom of them sump parallel to the ground then. This may also afford a few extra mm of clearance for the carbs too.
MarkClow

posted on 8/11/04 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO the main factors in engine positioning are:

Sump level.
Getting the drive from the output shaft (ie sprocket) as straight as possible to where it is going (ie reversing gearbox)l.

ChrisS

posted on 9/11/04 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have a feeling you may be wrong about the engine orientation. i have spoken to mark at MNR recently about this and unless i misunderstood what he said i believe the join in the crankcase is what should be parallel with the bottom chassis rails.
Stu16v

posted on 9/11/04 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
This may help answer your query mate.

Below is a piccy of a 2005 R1-similar enough I reckon...

Dont just build it.....make it!

dern

posted on 9/11/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread but I'm at the same stage

I'll pop down our local bike shop and ask their opinion about the engine position and take a look at a few R1s while I'm down there as they're a yamaha dealer. I know them pretty well so will ask if there's any R1s in for servicing I can have a look at and take some pictures to give us and idea of the engine's orientation in the frame in the bike.

On the subject of locating the output shaft... I'm looking at the chassis plans and can't see why I need to widen the transmission tunnel at the engine end as I'm not putting a gearbox in it and would like more foot room. Does the engine locate in the car such that the output shaft is lined up with the center of the transmission tunnel.

Lot to think about isn't there?

All the best,

Mark

Tralfaz

posted on 10/11/04 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this picture from Rich Miles R1 Striker site. To me it looks like the opening of the pickup tube/strainer has an angle similar, if not identical to the plane of the sump bottom. Leading me to conclude that the bottom of the sump should be pretty close to level.

http://www.striker1.plus.com/images/pic10018.jpg

[Edited on 10/11/04 by Tralfaz]

ChrisS

posted on 10/11/04 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
MMmm that kinda puts a spanner in the works, as ive now made my craddle to hold the engine at a slightly different angle than it shows in that bike picture. Ill have to seek further advice as to whether itll cause a problem.

Bugger!

Ferrino

posted on 10/11/04 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Mark - if you do get to pop down to your Yamaha dealer and take a look at some carbed ('99-'01) R1s, please let me know! I would do it myself, but too busy to get down there this week.
dern

posted on 10/11/04 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Will do.

Are any of the R1 workshop manuals available on line? I have a 2003 FI engine. I know I can get one from ebay but if there are versions kicking about for free then that's obviously a good thing

Mark

Tralfaz

posted on 10/11/04 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dern
Will do.

Are any of the R1 workshop manuals available on line? I have a 2003 FI engine. I know I can get one from ebay but if there are versions kicking about for free then that's obviously a good thing

Mark

http://sports.racer.net/

Look in the 'Engines' Section.

T

dern

posted on 10/11/04 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
http://sports.racer.net/

Look in the 'Engines' Section.

T
Thanks, you're a star

Mark

Ferrino

posted on 10/11/04 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a piccie from it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.