Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: S2000 into Westfield SEiW?
The Seer

posted on 16/4/14 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
S2000 into Westfield SEiW?

Further to my interest in a BEC Haybusa powered car I wondered if the S2000 is also worthy option?

A little research on the net reveals a few have taken this route, even buying the reasonably new S2000 kit from Westfield themselves. Sadly funds don't allow for this, plus I don't really have to expertise, tools or space to construct my own kit car or to even buy a ready built example (hardly any in the classifieds anyway!)

So, my thoughts were to buy a relatively cheap ready to run used SEiW (probably ten years old or so) then have a compentent garage remove the engine, source the S2000 engine and running gear and have it installed.

Has anybody installed an S2000 into SEiW or something similar? Just what's involved and does it work out to be a fantastically quick car?

All info appreciated, thanks

INDY BIRD

posted on 16/4/14 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Build thread on Westfield site may help see link

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/105071-build-thread-mega-s2000/

Cheers
Sean

daniel mason

posted on 16/4/14 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
iv done an mnr with one. it was a little on the heavy side but they are a great motor!
im my opinion your money would be better being put into a decent spec westfield with a vx red top,ford zetec or duratec. you would not lose any money and performance just as good
by the time you've sourced an s2000 motor,gearbox,diff,modified driveshafts,propshaft,exhaust,ecu,dash clocks,wiring,rolling road etc you'll be another £5k - £6k worse off at least.plus any labour costs which will be high if you don't do it yourself!
if you drove a westfield or other with 170 ish BHP you will almost certainly have never been in anything even close to as fast!

The Seer

posted on 16/4/14 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
iv done an mnr with one. it was a little on the heavy side but they are a great motor!
im my opinion your money would be better being put into a decent spec westfield with a vx red top,ford zetec or duratec. you would not lose any money and performance just as good
by the time you've sourced an s2000 motor,gearbox,diff,modified driveshafts,propshaft,exhaust,ecu,dash clocks,wiring,rolling road etc you'll be another £5k - £6k worse off at least.plus any labour costs which will be high if you don't do it yourself!
if you drove a westfield or other with 170 ish BHP you will almost certainly have never been in anything even close to as fast!

Agreed, there could be fair expense in labour costs That doesn't appeal at all. Contacting various companies on exaclty whats involved and a rough figure.

I've already had a SEiW with 180 bhp from a Dunnel Zetec, it simply wasn't fast enough, fun for sure but I'm looking for something that is much more than that.

daniel mason

posted on 16/4/14 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
ok then,but id imagine a 180 bhp with a light motor like the zetec would as fast as most on track. maybe not ultimate straight line speed but poise and balance,cornering and braking should be very good!
looks like theres only one option then! BIKE POWER!
if your local to me or certain venues ill happily let you look around the radical when there but mines a competition car not road going. corner speed is what you want,not straight line!

perksy

posted on 16/4/14 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote

Agreed, there could be fair expense in labour costs That doesn't appeal at all. Contacting various companies on exaclty whats involved and a rough figure.

I've already had a SEiW with 180 bhp from a Dunnel Zetec, it simply wasn't fast enough, fun for sure but I'm looking for something that is much more than that.

What Gearbox were you using ?
Fitting a BGH with the right ratios to my 220 brake Westy totally transformed it

The Seer

posted on 16/4/14 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
It was an MT 75 I believe. I didn't have 220 bhp though. I'm sure it'd of been more of rapid ride if I did
The Seer

posted on 16/4/14 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
Build thread on Westfield site may help see link

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/105071-build-thread-mega-s2000/

Cheers
Sean

Thanks Sean much appreciated Some really in depth info there

perksy

posted on 16/4/14 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Seer
It was an MT 75 I believe. I didn't have 220 bhp though. I'm sure it'd of been more of rapid ride if I did

To be fair the ratios in the MT75 aren't the best and the advantage with having the right ratios is that you can keep the car in the power band, Along with the right diff and its night and day with a standard set-up.

ashg

posted on 16/4/14 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Snodhurst garage down in Kent would probably take that job on they swapped tonyb's zetec in his gbs zero to an s2000 engine and box for him. Cost wise I reckon you would be looking at over a grand in Labour plus the cost of the engine box new exhaust propshaft and any other bits. I would say budget around 3-4 grand to do the whole job properly.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

daniel mason

posted on 17/4/14 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
you will NOT do it for £4k unless you buy a cat d donor and strip it yourself! engine and box will be £2k easily.then you've got to remove the old lump and associated bits, make the wide s2000 gearbox fit in the chassis,fabricate rear diff mounts to get the correct ratio Honda diff in there. buy s2000 drive shafts and graft them on to the ford items.engine mounts,gearbox mounts, exhaust, modified air intake or expensive itb's, dash clocks etc. then if you don't have the full car loom and ecu you will need aftermarket unit fitting,wiring and setting up on rollers. itll be £6k easy and over £1k in labour.

ashg

posted on 17/4/14 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I believe Tony kept his Ford diff / rear end and had a hybrid Ford/honda prop made up.

I think he got the engine box loom and ecu for under 2k, 600 ish for the exhaust plus fitting. I Don't know exactly what it cost him, will txt him and maybe he will reply.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

jeffw

posted on 17/4/14 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Has he not had two engines Ash?

boggybogstar

posted on 19/4/14 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, 2 engines, but lets forget about that jeff, if you added up all your mishaps im sure youll be horrified!, it was a dodgy oil pipe to the oil cooler that let go in full blat mode, so extra "repair costs" as opposed to conversion costs.

Ok, short answer cos im sitting on the beach in Phuket as I type this, the s2000 is an excellent engine in a kitcar and makes me smile everytime I climb in it. I picked up the engine, box, custom prop and lots of other bits for about £1200 ish (thees a guy in spalding that will sell you an engine and box for around the same price). I bought a new Emeral ECU k6 as I had the k3 for the zetec tgen sold all my old stuff for about what I paid for the s2000.

Then Snodhurst modified my chassis, I paid a grand for the new exhaust, then shed loads of additional bits like custom rads, hoses etc

Off the top of my head, whilst im supping this chang beer, I re kon it was a tad under 4 grand, but remember it was a conversion and I had stuff to sell!

I love my power now, but in hindsight id probably go duratech (possibly)

rdodger

posted on 19/4/14 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
As has already been posted, gear ratios play a big part, along with the engine.

With an S2000 engine conversion sized budget I would look very hard at a Caterham 6 speed box (£1500 on ebay) with a Duratec engine circa 200 bhp.

I recon it would probably be about the same price but be easier/cheaper to fit, weigh a lot less and give you a very fast, better handling car with perfect gear ratio's. A choice of 3.62 or 3.92 Sierra diff ratios should be enough to tailor it to suit.

unijacko67

posted on 19/4/14 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
S2000 has 4.1:1 rear diff so nothing special about using that or ford atlas or even english at a push as you've got to remember the car will be light. The 6 speed gearbox is quite close ratio and remember when the car is geared down via wheels and whatever diff you use it becomes even closer so not bad. I bought a complete 07 s2000 dbw and broke it for what I paid, so ended up with engine, box & loom for a bit of hard work. I've used all existing loom (cut down) and used Hondata Flashpro to re-map / flash the ecu as it was very twitchy when it hit V-tec so all that is smooth now. The way I did it is lots of work, mainly wiring loom, but not to hard. Still got a small fortune in the car.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 19/4/14 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
that's exactly what I did and what i would recommend doing. Id hate to think how much it would have cost if id had to pay someone to do everything involved in an engine transplant

[Edited on 19/4/14 by daniel mason]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.