Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford cologne gearbox options
speedyxjs

posted on 28/4/14 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ford cologne gearbox options

Hi all,

Due to the lack of time and money recently, the trike build has been a bit slow but has started. I have the basic beginning of the chassis (spaceframe) around the engine but can't do anything around the gearbox until i have one.

I have missed out on a few on eBay that have sold for £25 - £35 which would have been great if the had been closer to me and/or id had the time to collect.

The engine is a 2.9 Ford Cologne V6. From my research i know any Essex or Cologne V6 automatic gearbox will fit but does anyone know of any other automatic gearbox that may fit and may be a bit more common?

[Edited on 28-4-14 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mcerd1

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
The engine is a 2.9 Ford Cologne V6. From my research i know any Essex or Cologne V6 automatic gearbox will fit

Essex & Cologne's have totally different bell housing patterns - so the Essex ones will not fit

2.9 are the same as the slightly older 2.8 and the later 24v Cossie's - but that's it....

do you really want an autobox ?

-

speedyxjs

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Honestly hadn't thought much about using a manual as i haven't seen many decent ones but just had a look at a few on Youtube and have some idea's so may look at that route too. I was sure i read somewhere that the V6's all have the same bellhousing pattern but must have been wrong

[Edited on 28-4-14 by speedyxjs]

mcerd1

posted on 28/4/14 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
no all the ford V6's are different from each other

the 2 versions of the Essex have one pattern, the 2.8 / 2.9 Cologne's have another, the Mondeo V6's have yet another......

there are 2 manual boxes used for the Cologne's

2.8's came with type 9's (long input shaft version with different ratios from the 4cyl)
2.9's came with MT75 boxes

and both come as 4x4 options in the XR4x4 which are a bit more common than the 2wd's

the type 9 bellhousing will fit any long input shaft version of type 9 - but you'll want one with the V6 ratio's / strength really (although the diesel boxes may be worth a look)

RWD MT75's with the V6 bell housing are a little rare and its an integral bellhousing too
but you can make what you need by swapping over the internals (2wd cyl box and 4x4 V6 box)

-

snapper

posted on 29/4/14 at 05:05 AM Reply With Quote
The Type 9 box has removable bell housing and can be fitted to Essex and 2.8/2.9
We have (or did have) both in the barn for Lightning Rods & Super Rods.
I thought bellhousing to engine pattern was the same Essex / Cologne but stand to be corrected
Certainly inline 4 and V6 are different
Input shaft inline and V6 are different length but on Type 9 a V6 box can be fitted with a spacer to fit inline
Now with auto box bell patterns should mirror above but Bellhousings not removable that I have seen

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

speedyxjs

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys. Il have a look for a type 9 or MT75 too then and will keep an eye out for V6 bellhousing just in case

mcerd1

posted on 29/4/14 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
loads of info on the MT75 variants here:
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/Components

I'll try and dig up the info on the type 9 / and essex stuff later...

the cologne pattern is quite distinctive looking with the top 2 bolts very close together:

the essex was only ever fitted to the older 4 speed boxes (type 5) and looks like this:

but you can get aftermarket essex bellhousings for Type9's and T5's

[Edited on 29/4/2014 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.