Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mobile Car Lift Tilting Ramp
KitCatE1

posted on 30/4/14 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mobile Car Lift Tilting Ramp

Just seen this on Ebay:

Mobile Car Lift Tilting Ramp Roller Automobile Vehicle Jig 1500 kg Brand New

My Tiger cat has been in the garage for nearly 2 years now while I have been working away so its in much need of some TLC its currently on a set of wheel ramps but when its sorted im not too happy about leaving it on its wheels while its stored again... I was looking at car lifts at stoneleigh last year im going again this year but from my memory they were alot more expensive anyone got one/used one?

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 30/4/14 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
that looks interesting and a reasonable price.

would you feel safe working under the car with it just up on this lift?

KitCatE1

posted on 30/4/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme
that looks interesting and a reasonable price.

would you feel safe working under the car with it just up on this lift?

If i was working under it i would still pop the axle stands under it but was thinking more to store it off its wheels and ease of access to the engine etc... kills my back bending down

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 30/4/14 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
interesting comments over here

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=3&f=6&t=974624&nmt=

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 30/4/14 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=149965
jeffw

posted on 30/4/14 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of those (well the CJ Autos one at twice the price). Makes it easy to lift the car up onto axle stands...You can leave it on the lift as it has a mechanical lock out but I use axle stands if I'm working under the car. Is a lot more substantial than it looks.

Slimy38

posted on 30/4/14 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't finished my car yet so I don't know what that ride height will be, but my tintop doesn't have 14 cm of clearance underneath. I might get it past the sills, but it's not going to get past the footwells or exhaust. And it's not a lowered car.

I like the idea of it, but I would find it a huge faff considering the benefits. Even storing it for the half a dozen times I'd need it seems a bit much.

If you want something to store the car off it's wheels, I'd be tempted to buy some lumber and make some small trestles to sit under the car once its been lifted with a jack. Spend the money from this tilting lift on a beefy jack with a decent lifting height.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 30/4/14 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
that is a good point.. getting the clearance probably isn't an issue, I have to drive / push the car up onto some old paving slabs to get the trolley jack under, but I think with these lifts you can't drive over them, so you have to slide them in once the car is in place.

I can't see that working in my single garage.

I almost was going to get some as these seem to be about half price of the norm.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 30/4/14 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
although - duh to me, it is only 1330mm for one of it's dimensions, so should be able to drive over it and turn it round if clearence is there, or slide it under from the front or rear after and turn around.. so i still may get one!
jeffw

posted on 30/4/14 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
two planks of wood either side of the lift will allow you to drive over it.

v8kid

posted on 1/5/14 at 04:15 AM Reply With Quote
I use an engine hoist with a strap round the roll bar to lift the whole car and then just slip trestles under the car. Simples!
Your center of gravity may be different but Im sure you can arrange a suitable alternative attachmentoint if this is the case.
I have enough room to use a portable hydraulic lift but if you are tight on space rig up an electric hoist the roof timbers.
As well as being cheaper you have the advantage of dual functionality

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 7/5/14 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
just ordered one ! lets see what turns up and I will review it here when it turns up in a couple of weeks.
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 6/6/14 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
So, It did turn up within a couple of weeks.

The boxes and packaging was far from up to scratch for such a heavy item. DPD had to re tape it a couple of times. The biggest complaint for this point was that the parts had scrapped about so much that the paint had come off. The paint job all over is far from perfect.

The bar that goes between the 2 drive boxes was too long and I had to cut it short.

I complained and got 30quid off for the above two problems.

I then realised that one of the lifiting plates/pads had a problem.. The sides where not straight and there was no way I could get the big black bolt through.. I managed by chopping a bit of wood to the right size and driving it in to push the sides apart. So it did get on.

Great I thought, all working, I will just pop it under the car and doh! what an idiot I had been. I had checked so many of the dimensions, how it could work etc and totally neglected to thing about the width of my car. They quote the narrowist car is 1400mm, mine is nearer 1200mm !

So, I took out the angry grinder and thought the better of it, and it was quite late at night so used the hack saw to cut down the width adjusting bars and the drive joining bar and lost 38cm. I am going to take a couple more off, but better to start safe and have some left over

It now can be pushed under the car from the back as long as the car is on 1inch slabs and it does work! (no engine in for my test, so it is tail heavy and I can't level it! but after I move it back a bit hopefully I will be able to get it to be level. my 1500w drill in 1st gear can easily do the work too.It wont go under from the front un thus I can't drive over it yet as the front track seems to be a cm narrower and that is all it took for the widest part to not go through. thus why I think I will trim it back a little more.

So all in all for even 250 rather than the 220 I got if for, I am happy. The support and feedback the seller gave was just fine and professional.

NB the instructions were all in German! but hey, who reads them anyway

The following pics show it:

Car Lift Tilting Ramp

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.