Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rant...The Island
NigeEss

posted on 16/5/14 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Rant...The Island

Just watching the latest drivel reality show "The Island with Bear Grylls" and they caught a Caymen for
food.
Now I do not have any issue with catching and killing to eat but I really do have an issue with them
trussing the poor f**king thing up and carrying it back to camp.
If you are going to catch to eat, kill it ASAP. DO NOT LET IT SUFFER any longer than is absolutely necessary.

As I said, I have no issue with killing to eat and have personally dispatched fish, rabbits, pigeons, sheep,
turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs. All within a minute or two of being captured.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

coyoteboy

posted on 16/5/14 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed. Wonder how the animal charities see this.

ste

posted on 16/5/14 at 04:25 AM Reply With Quote
no different than it being caught in a trap and hald there a few hours til they return to despatch it. In that heat it needs to be kept alive as long as possible as it will start to rot as soon as it's killed. I do agree, it didn't look comfortable having its legs bent upwards.
Ajohnston_10

posted on 16/5/14 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
They only have about 3 knifes between them all, did they have a knife on them when they caught the cayman? The blind fold they put on it also makes the animal calm and reduces the stress.
tegwin

posted on 16/5/14 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Gruesome it may appear but that's the correct way to deal with that animal in that scenario.

I actually am quite impressed with the island episode I saw. It's actually a fairly honest narrative not sensational tv garbage. Not so sure about the chap who keeps talking about wanking and flat cheasted girls though....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Slimy38

posted on 16/5/14 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I did want to watch this, it's actually one of the few 'reality' shows that appeals to me. The other one I enjoyed was 71 degrees north.
tegwin

posted on 16/5/14 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
If this is your kind of thing.... My sisters company did a lot of the logistics, survival training and consultancy for the show...

They run courses etc all over the world as well as the TV stuff.

Their website is down for maintenance at the moment (their web guy had a heart attack)

But "like" their facebook page...some of the photos are incredible
https://www.facebook.com/NomadicGuiding?fref=ts

My sister.. Megan Hine

[Edited on 16/5/14 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

wilkingj

posted on 16/5/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
no different than it being caught in a trap and hald there a few hours til they return to despatch it. In that heat it needs to be kept alive as long as possible as it will start to rot as soon as it's killed. I do agree, it didn't look comfortable having its legs bent upwards.

If any of you have watched the Alligator Farm in Florida series, tying the legs back is the correct way. Otherwise the animal can lunge forwards and injure the humans.
What I saw was exactly how the swamp brothers handled their alligators in Florida. Also its how Steve whatshisname (now deceased) handled crocs in Australia.
I didnt see anything that was different.

Interesting series. The show is designed to push people as to just how far they are prepared to go to survive.
I suspect all of what is in store for them, is covered in the SAS survival manual, and I mean the one the SAS actually use and not the one in the bookshops.

Agreed the food needs to be kept alive until its dispatched just before cooking / eating. Its a food poisoning disaster waiting to happen if they dont keep their food alive until needed.
Anyone who has been in the tropics will know this.
Its also another reason why all these H5N1 type virus's develop in those parts of the world. The people live in close proximity of their live animals.

I cant see it changing in those countries untill everyone has reliable Mains power, and a decent fridge / freezer. That isnt going to happen in my lifetime

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/5/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen the trailers, but haven't (have never) felt the need to watch another 'reality' thing.

It would only be worth watching for me, if they started having to eat each other.... a bit of bondage, leg tie fetish and then a slow (add your method of reality 'celebrity' meat preparation according to your Faith) cook.

SteveRST

posted on 16/5/14 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've enjoyed watching the first two episodes so far and have no problem with them keeping the Cayman alive until ready to eat it - makes sense to me and I'd do the same.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.