Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT heating boiler cost fitted (ball park)
philw

posted on 24/5/14 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
OT heating boiler cost fitted (ball park)

Having just bought a property in the Forest of dean, the central heating boiler has shat itself big time, at the moment we have a heat only boiler with a tank for HW, Called a heating person today to see how much it would cost for a Worcester bosch replacement, he wanted £2200 and £3200 to fit a combi system, this seems rather steep or is it just me?

[Edited on 24/5/2014 by philw]

Must try harder

mark chandler

posted on 24/5/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Very steep, it's a £1000 boiler !

Any reason why you want a Worcester Bosch, I fitted one of these last year and got the local chap to sign off

http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/potterton-gold-33he-combi

Cannot fault it, at full hot flow on the tap, good mains pressure I have to add cold water.

That aside have you read off the fault codes, it could just be a £100 heat exchanger that's gone, same thing happened on a friends WB.

[Edited on 24/5/14 by mark chandler]

mookaloid

posted on 24/5/14 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen worse prices - I manage lots of properties and would normally get a straight replacement for about £1500 to 1800 plus VAT and a conversion to a combi depends on the amount of work needed.

I have just moved from a house with a combi to a house with an unvented cylinder. The cylinder system is much better IMHO - you get a better shower with more consistent temperature and you don't have to wait for the hot water to come through for so long.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

philw

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about a Worcester because of the warranty on the heat exchanger, as for the old boiler, it's an ideal ff260 which is 18 years old and the circuit board has gone as well as the fan being seized, so I can't see it is worth messing about with, I was hoping a replacement would have been £1500 fitted

That potterton is actually more expensive than the Worcester 18ri I had in mind

Must try harder

philw

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
The only problem with the system we have is the wife takes too long in the shower with all her hair and drains the tank

Must try harder

Wadders

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's really fair for anyone to comment on costs without seeing the job, and it will vary regionally.

Best thing to do is get more quotes locally, the gas safe website lists local installers as does the Worcester Bosch website.

A Worcester accredited installer will be able to offer you a longer standard warranty than one who is not accredited.

Al.

Simon

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
We got Swale in and ours was £3000. That included everything like new pipework, rerouting the gas pipes, building work etc.

ATB

Simon

philw

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
I don't think it's really fair for anyone to comment on costs without seeing the job, and it will vary regionally.

Best thing to do is get more quotes locally, the gas safe website lists local installers as does the Worcester Bosch website.

A Worcester accredited installer will be able to offer you a longer standard warranty than one who is not accredited.

Al.

It was a local Worcester installer who quoted, I just thought as the boiler is £750 plus £110 for the flue, £750 for a days work swapping it over would have been more like it.

Must try harder

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I paid a gasman £260 plus £40 materials to fit a new boiler. All the pipework was nearby in a fresh install. Reckon he was happy with that, he started at 8, went at 1.

Have a look on ebay. There are often deals to be had with installers.
Budget for a powerflush, some sort of filter (magnaclean, fernox etc) and a limescale inhibitor.
The warranties are very fussy regarding all the detail, get it wrong and they won't cough up.

BTW we fitted Vaillant. Same price as worcester, but easier to fix and stainless heat exchanger. 7yr warranty.
Last house, 8 years with a vaillant and no issues at all. Worcester expensive if the PRV starts to leak, and that wont be covered by warranty.

Wadders

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Problem is Phil, you can't decide what you want to pay, there will be an accepted going rate for that area that all the local installers are aware of.

who knows maybe that particular installer was top whack, maybe he was really busy or simply didn't fancy the job so stuck a daft price in?

I've no knowledge of the location but it sounds rural ?, maybe installers are thin on the ground and so prices can be pushed up .

Only way to know is get several quotes and then choose who your'e happy with.

Al.

It was a local Worcester installer who quoted, I just thought as the boiler is £750 plus £110 for the flue, £750 for a days work swapping it over would have been more like it.

samjc

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cliftyhanger has a similar figure to me i was in your shoes with my first property 2years ago and i had a alpha installed with 7year warrenty cost £250 to plumb in and £200 to upgrade most of the central heating system (bodged welds and wrong size pipes) as i supplied everything from boiler to pipe fittings and cost me under £900
philw

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote

Must try harder

philw

posted on 24/5/14 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Problem is Phil, you can't decide what you want to pay, there will be an accepted going rate for that area that all the local installers are aware of.

who knows maybe that particular installer was top whack, maybe he was really busy or simply didn't fancy the job so stuck a daft price in?

I've no knowledge of the location but it sounds rural ?, maybe installers are thin on the ground and so prices can be pushed up .

Only way to know is get several quotes and then choose who your'e happy with.

Al.

Yeah! your right, I will get some more quotes, though I expect them to be the same, I just begrudge paying someone £750 for a day when it takes me two weeks to earn. Last year in Bristol I paid £2200 for a new system which was to take out a backboiler and replace with a combi loads more work, I will give him a call and see if he will travel

Must try harder

philw

posted on 29/5/14 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Why do people try and shaft you?

Did a bit investigating to see if I was brave enough to fix it myself, whilst the fan was seized (bearings)strangely a wire had come off the fan making it look like there was no power, pointing to a broken pcb which the kind heating fellow had told me, reconnected the wire hit the on switch and manually spun the fan, the boiler sprang into action for 5 minutes until the fan seized again, so £45 for a new fan I now have a working boiler again

Must try harder

Wadders

posted on 29/5/14 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah plenty out there giving the whole trade a bad name....was it the same bloke who wanted to sell you a new expensive boiler by any chance ?

Glad your sorted

Originally posted by philw
Did a bit investigating to see if I was brave enough to fix it myself, whilst the fan was seized (bearings)strangely a wire had come off the fan making it look like there was no power, pointing to a broken pcb which the kind heating fellow had told me, reconnected the wire hit the on switch and manually spun the fan, the boiler sprang into action for 5 minutes until the fan seized again, so £45 for a new fan I now have a working boiler again

BenB

posted on 29/5/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I did most of my own install myself. Did all the water plumbing, mounted the plate on the wall, laid the new gas pipe leaving the boards up for my gassafe plumber to solder it together, check all the fittings and sign it off. Cost me £200 and I got the Bosch Worcester boiler for just over a grand.

The local boiler installers will no doubt have a fixed (IE cartel) price for installing an entire boiler but seeing as this was a couple of hours work max it didn't nicely fall under any price tariff so was open to discussion!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.