Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bathroom Chrome Strips
Scuzzle

posted on 25/5/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bathroom Chrome Strips

Had a bit of a disaster today when I tried to clean the grout in my bathroom. I bought a spray that's meant to get grout back to white that smells very bleachy. I sprayed it on the tiles and left for half an hour before rinsing off as per the instructions but it's stained all the chrome strips that are fitted in between the tiles.
I don't actually think they are chrome more polished aluminium as I sprayed it over the taps and proper chrome fittings and they are fine.

Just wondering what to try to get them back to looking good, I've tried polishing them with some T-Cut by hand which made no difference and I've just tried the same with a dremmel and a polishing head which has improved it slightly but it's nowhere near the easy job I thought it would be, took 20 mins just to do a foot.

So wondering if anyone has any ideas, the strips look lightly etched rather than stained, I don't know if I can even dig out the strips and replace them without affecting the tiling too much.

Any ideas would be appreciated as it really has ruined the bathroom, I'm even considering lightly sanding them and going for a brushed aluminium look.

jacko

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi sorry to read about the trim could you clean it then lacquer them ?
also can i ask what make / name the spray is as i don't want to use it in our bath room
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
What about autosol. Much more aggressive than T-cut and has been good for me before.

Lots of elbow grease though.

Those acidic cleaners (like citil bang) are amazing and disastrous in equal amounts. If the surface is hot (like a hot tap) then they are even more vicious.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Scuzzle

posted on 26/5/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
The stuff is called HG Bathroom Mould Spray and I bought it at B&Q, there's no mention of acid or any warning about discolouring aluminium on the label.
My bathroom is fine as well apart from around the shower area where the grout has gets a brown tinge to it after a few months.

Fair enough it really did sort the grout out great but I'm gutted about the strips going the way they have.

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/5/14 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
You are right. Not acid but alkali. Sodium hypochlorite can corrode aluminium. But you know that now.

ftp://ftp.hginternational.com/UNITED%20KINGDOM/SAFETY%20DATA%20SHEET/gb.en.186%20HG%20mould%20spray%201.00.pdf

Pretty crap that it doesn't warn you on the labels.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.