Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 manifold
dern

posted on 11/11/04 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
r1 manifold

I'm at the stage where I need to start thinking about where the engine will go and to start making engine mounts and so on.

In people's experience am I better off getting the engine into the best position in terms of sump angle and prop position and then get a manifold make to suit or buy a manifold from MK or someone like that and position the engine to suit the three variable (prop, sump angle and manifold position)?

The chassis is a home built book chassis built using McSorley's plans but with the transmission tunnel straight to the front and not widening out at the front as I'm not housing a car gearbox.

The engine is a 2003 fuel-injected R1 engine. I do have the bike downpipes for this bike. I'm not going to include the exup valve in the system.

Thanks for any advice,

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 11/11/04 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I got my manifold - then suspended the engine in the engine bay to get the best position - just make sure you get the sump horizontal. The made p a cradle to suit - it was actually very straightforward.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

kingr

posted on 12/11/04 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I put the engine in place and built the mounts, then skinned the car, cut a hole out of the side and built the exhaust system to fit (pics in archive). Obviously this method is only any good if you're building your own system or don't mind trailering your chassis to someone to build your exhaust.

Kingr

dern

posted on 12/11/04 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
Well, I put the engine in place and built the mounts, then skinned the car, cut a hole out of the side and built the exhaust system to fit (pics in archive). Obviously this method is only any good if you're building your own system or don't mind trailering your chassis to someone to build your exhaust.
I'm not averse to building my own. How did you go about doing it? Did you do much pipe bending (if so how?) or did you buy component curves and weld them together?

Did you build a cat into the system?

Thanks for any information (and your time).

All the best,

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 14/11/04 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

To answer your questions :

I cut 4 pieces of copper brake pipe to the same length and attached them to a piece of wood bolted to the exhaust ports and used a template for the radius of curve that I had. I then bent the bits of brake pipe until I had them all ending up in a square pattern to suit the collector. Once I'd done that I just use the brake pipe as a template for the sections of tube, cutting and welding them as I went.

No pipe bending at all, I just bought about 10 (IIRC) 90 degree "dairy bends" from a company called HPE (they have a website).

There's a cat in later R1 exhaust which is what I used. This was sufficient to get me through SVA cat test (98 engine on carbs).

Hope this helps, incidentally the hardest bit of the whole exhaust system build was getting the stainless exhaust system to mate with the titanium back box (more about this elsewhere on the forum).

Kingr

dern

posted on 14/11/04 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
To answer your questions :
Thanks very much for that, I think I'll have to give that a go. Is the standard downpipe made from stainless rather than anything more exotic?

All the best,

Mark

Edited to add: I think mine may be made of something other than stainless as a magnet isn't attracted to it. I'll have to investgate and alternative, maybe the older downpipes will bolt on and I can use those.

[Edited on 14/11/04 by dern]

Bob C

posted on 14/11/04 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
There's quite a few sorts of stainless steel - most are non- magnetic!
cheers
Bob

dern

posted on 14/11/04 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
There's quite a few sorts of stainless steel - most are non- magnetic!
Really? Well I never knew that.

Cheers,

Mark

JoelP

posted on 14/11/04 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
thats a bummer - i bought a standard exhaust for my zx9 with the intention of modifying it. not easy for an amateur welder...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

kingr

posted on 15/11/04 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, certainly the 98 downpipes are in Stainless and I strongly suspect that all versions are - surely Yamaha isn't so crazy as to make the entire exhaust system from titanium?

I'd say that trying to modify the standard exhaust is pretty futile - there's almost definitely not enough bends, they're not very good bends and why bother when nice mandel bent dairy bends are only a few quid each anyway?

Kingr

Tralfaz

posted on 15/11/04 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes, certainly the 98 downpipes are in Stainless and I strongly suspect that all versions are - surely Yamaha isn't so crazy as to make the entire exhaust system from titanium?

Kingr

Mmm.....

Every bit of the 2003 exhaust I cut up showered lovely white sparks and smelled exactly the same.

I am fairly certain that it is all titanium.

Brian

dern

posted on 15/11/04 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
quote:

Kingr

Mmm.....

Every bit of the 2003 exhaust I cut up showered lovely white sparks and smelled exactly the same.

I am fairly certain that it is all titanium.
I'm pretty sure the downpipes on my fireblade are titanium so can't see why Yamaha wouldn't go the same way to save weight (presumably) as Honda.

Assuming that they are titanium, I suppose the worst case would be to simply chop each header pipe off at 6" or thereabouts and then clamp stainless sections on the stubs using gun gum and exhaust clamps. All exhaust systems I've ever seen are built in the same way (although admitedly not the manifolds). Do you think that this would work or would the temperature that close to the engine be too much for the exhaust assembly paste. I can't see how it would as I've seen many systems wrapped which would transfer similar amounts of heat to the first joint in an exhaust system.

Regards,

Mark

kingr

posted on 15/11/04 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think I'd be keen on using that method - I'd probably investigate having the little bits that interface with the engine machined out of stainless.

Kingr

Tralfaz

posted on 23/11/04 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
There is a shot of my just completed R1 manifold - made with mild steel mandrel U-bends, in my photo archive if anyone is interested.

Still needs to be sent out for blasting and coating.

ATB

Brian

[Edited on 23/11/04 by Tralfaz]

dern

posted on 24/11/04 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
There is a shot of my just completed R1 manifold - made with mild steel mandrel U-bends, in my photo archive if anyone is interested.
Nice job. Did you use the engine ends of an R1 manifold to mate the manifold with the engine? If so what year is the engine?

Regards,

Mark

Tralfaz

posted on 24/11/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dern
Nice job. Did you use the engine ends of an R1 manifold to mate the manifold with the engine? If so what year is the engine?

Regards,

Mark

Nope. I used 1 3/4" OD thick wall (1/8" )tubing that fits tightly around the 1 1/2" OD 16 gauge to create the ends(flanges). I did use the factory "Flange Clamp Plates"(The bits that actually bolt to the head and clamp the header in place)

T

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.