Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: is this a locost chassis?
alfas

posted on 4/6/14 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
is this a locost chassis?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281352879530
leon51274

posted on 4/6/14 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Registration seems a bit iffy!
alfas

posted on 4/6/14 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
yep...but thats another story....

the story " I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE HISTORY OTHER THAN I WAS TOLD IT WAS BUILT BY AN ENGINEER IN THE 70's" looks as a fake as imo the chassis is a book chassis, also the alloy side panels look typically locost.

so basically a locost whith a midget as donor car for the technical components and some home-made alloy body panels?

what do you guys think?

britishtrident

posted on 4/6/14 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
If it was as claimed built in the 1970s no but what little can seen of chassis looks book Locost but it looks like a shorter wheelbase.

The wishbones use Maxi ball joints which really only really started to be used by builders about 5 years after the 1st edition of the book was published, but wishbones could have been changed. As it is Sprite/Midget based it may have started out with Midget kig pin type suspension

It could be home build one off and been modified subsequently using Locost book plans which is fair enough , but lot depends on what it is registered as, if buying check the registration documents carefully if registered as Midget/Sprite it would mean trouble.

One other word of caution the way the ad is written sounds like it is being sold by a dealer ----

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

alfas

posted on 4/6/14 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
its registered as MG Midget Sports.....so not really correct.

edge protector has been fitted to front and rear wings

the threads of the track rod ends and the GAZ coilovers have been masked with rubber tape

for a 70ies built car??

nope....such details indicate that the car was built in the 90ies with SVA in mind....finally it was easier using a Midget V5c....

Slimy38

posted on 4/6/14 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
its registered as MG Midget Sports.....so not really correct.

edge protector has been fitted to front and rear wings

the threads of the track rod ends and the GAZ coilovers have been masked with rubber tape

for a 70ies built car??

nope....such details indicate that the car was built in the 90ies with SVA in mind....finally it was easier using a Midget V5c....

Yep, there's a lot of SVA bits on the bodywork, but then the instrument bezels and flyscreens would have failed. It's a shame it wasn't finished off, could have been a nice correctly registered car. I don't see double skinned side panels very often.

steve m

posted on 4/6/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
To me, its a book chassis, so built between 1996-2000 and just made to look old (well used)
and that engine, is not powerful to get it off the drive, let alone on the road !

I would also say the valuation is about double whats its worth, as mines only insured for 5k and looks 100% better
imho !

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

alfas

posted on 4/6/14 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
as the seller is pointing out his location near to Dover i think he is counting with potential buyers from the other side of the channel

the registration date would help , but i think he isnt aware about the fact that also outside UK its difficult to get such a thing re-registered, due to the incorrectly stated "make" in the v5c.

i would say a typical UK price for the car would be around 3k...if it sells abroad add another 500..

owelly

posted on 4/6/14 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
As this seems to be registered as a Midget, surely it's not worth more than the parts used to build it? It's nothing more than another ringer!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Samuele

posted on 3/6/16 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
s

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.