Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Can-Am V8 Race Car
Twin40

posted on 4/6/14 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Can-Am V8 Race Car

Hey people,

So I’ll get straight to the point, I want to build another car, and I’d really like to base something along the lines of a 1970’s Can-Am racer.

At the moment I’m planning the build around the following components:

Lotus Elise / Vx220 chassis - A lightweight option with good torsional rigidity - slightly extended to suit the new drivetrain
V8 Engine – BMW E39 / 4.2 Audi S4 / AMG M156 Engine (maybe)
Manual Gearbox – Getrag G50 (boxster S or equivalent)
BodyWork – Custom GRP mould / Possibly based from 2-eleven bodywork

I appreciate a lot of the ancillary items will be custom made, and there is a vast amount of time required to fabricate these components etc

However, my main concern is bolting a large capacity motor into the lotus chassis and it being a “safe” design. And I want to use similar width slick racing wheels like the original cars (15”x 11” for example). So addtional loads placed on the chassis too.

Can you guys point out any other major considerations I’ve missed so far? What would you do to ensure it’s designed + built properly?

Cheers,

CB.

Dopdog

posted on 4/6/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Why don't you just buy a GT40 chassis and make the rest fit? you will fit a V8 into this with ease and save you loads of pain.
wylliezx9r

posted on 4/6/14 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
The Hennesy Venom, (which i believe is/was the fastest car in the world) Uses a modified Exige chassis to house a 1000 + bhp twin turbo v8. So anything is possible I guess..................but that doesnt mean it's going to be easy.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

coyoteboy

posted on 4/6/14 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Can't imagine you'd fit at large V8 in it, and I suspect it might handle like a wet fish unless you're really smart about your layout. The Audi V8 weighs in at ~250kg with ancils and an 01E box on the back - it's what's going into my beasty.

Ugg10

posted on 4/6/14 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
On the face of it I would expect you will need to do major surgery on the rear end, lengthening to fit in a longitudinal v8 + transaxle in place of the transvere I4/V6, remembering the Elise chassis is glued (sorry bonded) together not welded.

Have a look at the Sipire GT chassis, www.spiresportscars.co.uk, this is a well sorted chassis doing well in race series and is alread capable of fitting an Audi v8 + transaxle. Discussion on Audi Transaxles for GT40 (relevant) can be found here - http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/24696-audi-01x-transmission.html

Also have a look at the Chevy LS series engine - the LS3 + powerpack will kick out close to 500hp in a small, all alloy package, plenty of adaptors available for Porker transaxles.

If you want the ultimate then I would go for a BMW M5 V10 fitted to an audi transaxle and fitted into a Tornado GT40 Carbon tub chassis (may lower mysefl to the ally tub) with alloy front and rear suspension (my lottery win project !)

Sound like a good project, all the best.

wylliezx9r

posted on 4/6/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
[img][/img]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Twin40

posted on 4/6/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys, I chose the lotus chassis as it is more similar to the aluminium monocoque originally used on the can am cars. Plus I can buy a lot of bolt on goodies for the front end of the lotus chassis already.

The extension is actually not too bad, the rear end is a bolted item, Hennessy had added extension blocks to allow for the increase in engine length.
I have my reservations about the strength of the rear suspension however!

The Chevy engine is a good suggestion, I'm not familiar with them but I know there is a huge amount of upgrades available!

jeffw

posted on 4/6/14 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Audi RS6 C5 V8 twin turbo.....like my friend has in his Ultima. 800BHP

Ugg10

posted on 4/6/14 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
For the Chevy engine have a chat to GD and their sister company who supply the Chevy engines for their Lola/cobra replicas, they have a number of tuning options and can probably advise on gearboxes.

www.gdcars.com

Or there is PWP that supply the LS3 in two power options and the more expensive LS7. LS3 with 480hp pack looks reasonable value at around £6k.

www.partsworldperformance.com or shop.partsworldperformance.com/ls376-480-v8-crate-engine-19244549

The other alternative is the new Ford Coyote 5.0l V8 that is starting to get some traction, Tornado stock these for their GT40 replicas -

http://www.tornadosportscars.com/GT40/partslist.html

or from here -

www.totalkitcar.com/2012/02/03/simon-scleater-is-a-well-known-man/ (also quotes adaptors for a number of v8's to the audi transaxle

finally, may be easier to get hold of a second hand XKRS supercharged V8 (500hp ish) if you are looking second hand and want keep costs sensible.

TimC

posted on 4/6/14 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Can Am kit....

coozer

posted on 4/6/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck, I'm pretty sure you'll end up with an awesome tool...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Twin40

posted on 4/6/14 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
This is the sort of thing I’m “aiming” towards, I doubt very much it will look quite as menacing though…..

http://www.adatr.it/2011/06/08/mclaren-m8c/

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/heritage/cars/m8d/

Wadders

posted on 4/6/14 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Theres a build thread on Vx220.org where a lad fitted a rover V8 to a standard length VX220, although he did mount it
transversely which is probably not what you intend to do.

Al.

olimarler

posted on 4/6/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you need any pics let me know my uncle and grandfather used to race a mclaren m8e.
Cheers

Twin40

posted on 5/6/14 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Well i wasn't expecting that! Yes please mate, i'll send you a PM for those pics....

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.