Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: AlternatorUpgrade
mortda

posted on 5/6/14 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
AlternatorUpgrade

I'm in the process of upgrading the lights on a Daihatsu Mira 850cc , from the dismal 55/60 watt globes to at least a more realistic out put ,90/100 watt or even possibly the higher 100/130 watt globes.
I've upgraded the wiring, including that,that goes to the plug units and have added high amp relays.
I need to now upgrade the Alternator ( the only info I have on the original is that it's out put is 10amps @ 2500 revs which is too low) to ensure a constant charging current is being supplied. Can anyone suggest an Alternative alternator, which would fit with out too many hassles

hughpinder

posted on 5/6/14 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
You are increasing the output by up to 70W, so you need about 16A output.
Sorry I cant help with an alternator choice, but just 2 things to consider:
1. In the UK the higher rated bulbs would be illegal on the road - I don't know about New Zealand though. No problem for offroad.
2. One of my friends did this and thats how he found out the reflector/light enclosure are plastic- they melted from the heat of the bulbs.
Best of luck
Hugh

AdrianH

posted on 5/6/14 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mortda
the only info I have on the original is that it's out put is 10amps @ 2500 revs which is too low

Don't forget that there is usually a big difference between alternator revs and engine revs due to the differences in pulley sizes, so an engine at 2,500 could mean an alternator at around 4,000 or higher.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

big-vee-twin

posted on 5/6/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
What about a Diahatsu Charade alternator have 40amps output and they are tiny?

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

mortda

posted on 5/6/14 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator Upgrade

Thanks for all the information folks..
I realize the problems with the new plastic lenses being prone to melting and therefore the 100/130 watt bulbs would be out of the question, they are still available here as there are still a lot of older cars with the glass lenses are on our roads (The Americans use to call NZ the "Museum on Wheels" even the 90/100 watts could at least cause yellowing of the lens and therefore will be considering ducting cool air from behind the grill to the light's envelope
As for the alternator output, the only information on it that I have, was that it produced 10 amps at 2500 revs ( I have done a quick measure on the pulley sizes and the ratio is around 2.5:1 which means that if the current alternator if the specs I have are right that the engine revs would probably be at Idle and the alternator output would likely to be at Idle speed) So,I would suppose the final maximum out put would depend on what the regulator would allow.
I wondered about the Charade alternator as to whether it would be appropriate and will check into it .
Once again ,thanks Folks for the responses they are very much appreciated

mortda

Scuzzle

posted on 6/6/14 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Try an uprated standard wattage H4 bulb like Osram Nightbreakers as they do give off better light, Euro Car Parts are usually good for a cheap deal on these. As for your alternator check out Diahatsu Charade, Suziki Swift, Alto etc. Everything with the small Nippon Denso alternator fitted, if you can find one with the same fitment as you have already these come in 40 and 50 amp versions.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.