Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Transporting a large milling machine
dave_424

posted on 27/6/14 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Transporting a large milling machine

I am looking to purchase a large milling machine 1-2 tonne and was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction for an easy place that will transport it to me.

I saw that some people have used companies to transport doner vehicles

The place I am buying it from can sort out transport for a reasonable cost but they said that because I can unload at my end and they can load at their end I can go for a lorry without a crane which will reduce my costs.

All info appreciated

Dave

Wadders

posted on 27/6/14 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
You might get more response if you add collection and delivery locations.

Have you considered hiring a 7.5 toner and moving it yourself?

Maybe just about get away with a trailer, but you would need a Landy or similar to tow it legally.

I've found machinery places hard to beat on transport costs in the past, as they tend to do a few drops to spread cost, had two big pillar drills delivered
From kent to Leeds for £75.00 a few years back.

Al.

HowardB

posted on 27/6/14 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
who or what ever you hire will need the facility to move it to the transport, load it on, and off load it and position it at the far end. I would stick with a machine mover, someone that knows how to lift your 1 tonne milling machine.

In Leicester we use Neal brothers,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

dave_424

posted on 27/6/14 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yes sorry locations are Leicestershire to Shropshire, about 90 miles

I have been thinking about a trailer, just figuring out getting a friends truck and trailer.

Dave

Stot

posted on 27/6/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
A few years ago I had to move a 2.1 tonne mill and I looked up Hiab companies to quote. Found one that moved the mill from the south of Hayling Island to North London for £275 I think it was but I dont have the details any more

You could also put the details up on Shiply for a quote but if you choose someone from there look at the feedback to see that they have moved this type of thing before.

Cheers
Stot

big_wasa

posted on 27/6/14 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I moved a lathe a few weeks back and that was around 600 lb. We did that with an engine crane and a trailer. The 80 mile ride home was a little tense. Don't under estimate getting out of its old home.
David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/14 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Colchester Student lathe from a school a while back - there was no way that I was going to move it myself as it weighs more than my Locost (about 750kg).

I used a professional machine moving company from Colchester, who turned up with a big truck fitted with a Hiab. He knew exactly how to lift it, how to secure it on the truck, and how to move it into my garage at the end of the journey (*huge* roller-skates!). Having moved the lathe around my garage later on, I *know* that I made the right decision - apart from being very heavy, the lathe is very top-heavy, which makes levering it around very scary. I'm sure that a big mill would be even worse.

v8kid

posted on 27/6/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a colchester triumph ,1000kg and moved it from York to Glasgow in a car transporter towed with a CRV. No problems at all but if it was twice the weight I would have never been able to unload. Can you dismantle and move in parts?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 27/6/14 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
<Crocodile Dundee voice>

"Now that's a big milling machine.....

"Big milling machine

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ste

posted on 28/6/14 at 05:07 AM Reply With Quote
My tuppence worth;

Beg, steal, borrow a big car with a 3.5t tow limit, Landrover, Disco, Navara, Range Rover etc.

Hire a 3.5t tri axle trailer.

Get the company to lift it on for you.

you already said you can lift it off but if not, a local farmer with a decent telehandler would do it for some beer tokens.

Moved a few big things like this in the past with no issues.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.