Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PS2 Modchip?
Northy

posted on 14/11/04 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
PS2 Modchip?

Has anyone fitted a PS2 Modchip to allow them to play their own backups?

I've been looking, and there are loads. Which ones are any good?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 14/11/04 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
not done a PS2 my self but I moded 4x-boxes last weak it is all very easy and I would recomend any one with an x-box or ps2 mods it up if you have an x-box put a bigger dirve in as well and you cen do lots more cool stuff.
Peteff

posted on 14/11/04 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Get on winamp livestream internet tv and look at igogg.com. They were doing demos last week on modding all the games machines.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

paulbeyer

posted on 14/11/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've modded an older PS1 and was looking last week for a mod chip for the PS2 but couldn't find any. It seems that a court case in June 2004 made PS2 mod chips illegal in the UK due to copyright laws (a case brought to court by Sony against an individual). Where have you seen mod chips for sale? I want one.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Northy

posted on 14/11/04 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking on modchip.com I don't see why they wouldn't ship to the UK.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Staple balls

posted on 15/11/04 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
You can get them from http://modchip.it/

but really, don't even consider it unless you're pretty good at soldering and can afford a new PS2 if you do screw up.

Peteff

posted on 15/11/04 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
PS2 mod looked like a rewire. Track cutting involved.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Chris Green

posted on 15/11/04 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
yes, the ps2 mod is a lot more dificult than the X-box one.

I might give it a go though, It would give me an excuse to buy that new slimline ps2. That is great!

blueshift

posted on 15/11/04 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
i've chipped a ps2, doesn't involve track cutting but it does involve soldering wires to several pins in a row on a fine (0.2mm pitch?) surface mount chip. Gave me a headache, and I'm good with a soldering iron. flux pen helps. Chipping an xbox is a doddle by comparison, I think I've done one of those too..

there are various revisions of the ps2 though, perhaps some of them need tracks cutting.

kingr

posted on 15/11/04 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
DMS3 or DMS4 is what you want. Available from www.mrmodchips.com. Be warned though, they're not at all easy to fit (highly dependant on what version you have). I've done V4 (total PITA) and V7 (comparatively dead easy). You need to be ultra tidy with the wiring. I recomend using coated wire rather than kynar or any other insulated wire and strong, slightly squishy double sided tape (hold wires tightly, but does allow repositioning if necessary, unlike hot glue guns).

Xboxes are a piece cake to chip. Xecuter being the only sensible option.

I expected the new PS2s to be next to impossible to chip, but it would seem they're not significantly more difficult to chip than any other PS2 (probably easier than V3+4).

Kingr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.